Sunday, January 24, 2021

Synchronic

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Synchronic                                                                  OK/G
The directing duo behind this, Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead, also gave us Resolution, Spring, The Endless, a segment of V/H/S: Viral, and the episode entitled “8” in the most recent season of The Twilight Zone.  [My favorite film of theirs so far is Resolution, which ended up tying in with The Endless, a film that felt incomplete viewed on its own].  If you’ve seen any of those titles, particularly the first three mentioned, you can likely deduce the filmmakers dabble in the bizarre, but are compelling nonetheless.  This newest film may be trippy at times, but is largely straightforward with nothing open-ended about it.  In it, a paramedic from New Orleans decides to take a popular new drug on the streets called (wait for it…) Synchronic after learning he’s dying and to try finding his co-worker’s daughter who went missing after taking said drug.  You see, this drug has the power to take you back to certain points in time that occurred at the exact location you take the drug at.  You only have a certain amount of time in this drug-induced “time hop” to return to the same spot you took the drug in before being stuck there forever.  Trust me, it all makes sense if you see it visually.  While the concept is great, I felt it could’ve been expanded upon much greater.  It is a decent film, yes, but I wasn’t entirely satisfied, and I felt it may have ended a bit too positively.  Perhaps I’m just too picky.  Or perhaps my expectations were too high.  I don’t know.  I’ll always be interested in what the directing duo puts out though (although I can’t believe they co-produced She Dies Tomorrow, which is not only the worst movie of 2020, but one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen!).  Perhaps there will be a companion piece like Resolution and The Endless and I’m getting too far ahead of myself?  1/20/2021

Bonus review:

Jurassic World:  Camp Cretaceous (Season 2)           OK

I’m looking forward to the 6th Jurassic Park movie or 3rd Jurassic World movie (whatever it is), and I can honestly say I had fun with this series in the meantime.  I did.  The end suggested this could continue and I say, “Bring it!”

Those were my final words for the review of the first season, which you can read in its entirety in the archives (www.abcreviewarchive.blogspot.com), and now here we are with season two of the animated spinoff available on Netflix.  The same characters return with about three new ones added.  It is eight episodes again, all but one being 24 minutes, the last one being 23 (the credits are always included in the total).  The episodes do go by rather quickly again and there are a few suspenseful scenes, but I just didn’t have as much fun this time; this season ultimately felt like a cash grab.  As of now, season three is not confirmed and it could very well happen considering this season didn’t completely end, and, if it does happen, I hope it’s better than this season.  I can’t not continue considering how much a fan I am of the franchise.  1/23/2021

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Getaway (2020; dir. Lane Toran)  >>>OK

The Night They Knocked  >>>OK

Spell  >>>OK

---Sean O.
1/24/2021

No comments:

Post a Comment