Saturday, April 10, 2021

What Lies Below

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

What Lies Below                                                         OK/G
Mena Suvari.  That actress who will forever be known as the choir girl from American Pie and the horny be-yotch from American Beauty (at least to me, and likely others from my generation or before).  She hasn’t really aged and this is just one of two recent movies I’ve seen with her in it; the other one being Don’t Tell a Soul, which wasn’t bad, I just wasn’t too big a fan of the ending.  Here, she picks up her teenage daughter from camp and heads to their cabin in the woods by a lake.  There, we meet mom’s new boyfriend.  He may be really attractive, but something is clearly not right about him; licking menstrual blood on a raft and sniffing the teen daughter’s clothes while she’s in the shower are just the beginning.  While I may have made it sound like a Lifetime “movie of the week” type film, it gradually becomes an entirely different film, one more fitting for the SyFy Channel.  It certainly has atmosphere and intrigues for a good deal, but I didn’t feel entirely satisfied when it was over and felt slightly confused (even after reading “spoilers” online; they all felt the same way I did).  I also felt that perhaps there may have been some things I didn’t pick up on the first time.  I don’t know.  Currently available on Netflix.  4/8/2021

Other movies and TV show(s) I’ve seen and their ratings (see above):

Blood Lake:  Attack of the Killer Lampreys  >>>B

Don’t Tell a Soul  >>>OK/G

The Evictors  >>>G

Eyes of a Stranger  >>>B/EH

Fatale  >>>OK

The Leopard Man  >>>EH

My Neighbor Totoro  >>>EH/OK

The Power (2021)  >>>EH/OK
            (Shudder)

The Soul Collector  >>>OK

Southern Gothic (season 1)  >>>OK

The Widow  >>>EH/OK

---Sean O.
4/10/2021

No comments:

Post a Comment