Saturday, May 22, 2021

Army of the Dead

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Army of the Dead                                                        EH/OK
In case you’ve heard/read nothing about this new Netflix movie, it’s a heist/zombie movie wherein a group of people are tasked with entering Las Vegas (which has been bordered off to contain zombies within) to retrieve a large sum of money with promises of a reward before the city is blown to smithereens in a few days.  Zack Snyder was at the helm, who was behind a bunch of superhero movies, but also the passable Dawn of the Dead remake, so he’s dabbled with the undead before (it was also his feature film directing debut).  Did this need to be 2 ½ hours?  Hell no!  I don’t think most movies need to be that long.  It wasn’t necessarily boring in the general sense, but it certainly felt as long as it was; I thought it was over 40 minutes before it actually was!  It is more of a zombie movie than a heist one, and I actually liked it better before they entered Sin City when we got to know all the characters; this ultimately felt like a subpar Resident Evil film (didn’t at least one of those take place in Vegas as well?).  There’s a group of undead that are more “intelligent” than other mindless gut-munchers, they don’t talk though, just grunt, and their existence is infinitely more silly than frightening.  There was a zombie tiger and horse that were pretty cool, plus a pretty cool mauling by the tiger that would’ve impressed me whether the big cat was a zombie or not.  That’s really all that stood out in this overlong heist/zombie film that was fairly standard in regards to both genres.  5/21/2021

Bonus review:

Tom & Jerry                                                                EH/OK
I did watch Tom & Jerry as a young‘un enough to say I was a fan, but it wasn’t one of my favorites.  I did like the movie that came out in 1993 (at least back then), also called Tom & Jerry: The Movie (this movie is labeled both Tom & Jerry and Tom & Jerry: The Movie in some places), which I still own the VHS for.  The thing I remember about the show and the other movie though was that they were 100% animated.  This movie takes the animated characters and merges them with real people and real locations (the Big Apple, to be exact; mainly a hotel hosting a celebrity wedding).  In fact, all the animals are the only things animated.  Why couldn’t the entire film be animated?  As a film itself, it’s not as bad as it could’ve been, but it’s still not exactly worth watching and I’m glad this wasn’t my introduction to Tom & Jerry, which, unfortunately, will be for some of today’s young‘uns.  [I reviewed at least one feature-length animated film featuring the titular cat and mouse contained in this blog---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2017/11/mooby-reviews-111617.html].  5/19/2021

Other movies and TV show(s) I’ve seen and their ratings (see above):

The Funeral Home  >>>OK
   (In Spanish with subtitles)

Minari  >>>OK/G
   (Mostly in Korean with subtitles)

The Nest  >>>EH

Time Lapse (2015)  >>>EH

Trickster  >>>OK
   (6 episodes; currently available on Shudder) 

---Sean O.
5/22/2021

No comments:

Post a Comment