Sunday, June 13, 2021

Sweet Tooth (Season One)

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Sweet Tooth (Season One)                                          G
I did like the comic book series created by Jeff Lemire when it came out, enough to collect all 40 issues that ended in 2013 (apparently a new series was released in November of last year).  When I saw the ads for this Netflix series, I did want to watch it, but, at the same time, I wasn’t sure how yet another apocalyptic TV series (or even a movie) would work.  Since it’s been 8 years, I obviously don’t remember most of what happened.  There is a bit of suspense throughout and I cared enough about some of the characters to make me give this season a mild recommendation; it really wasn’t that bad considering all the other post-apocalyptic material out there.  In it, a virus (“the sick”) wipes out a good deal of the population and those still alive must survive while trying to protect themselves from other people (yes, people, not zombies or other variations) in this new world gone to shit (dubbed “The Great Crumble”).  Also, at the beginning of the virus, a bunch of hybrid children were created (humans that are part animal).  We follow one named Gus, who is part deer, as he goes searching for his mother after his father succumbs to “the sick.”  He comes across others on his journey, particularly an ex-football player named Jep and a teenage girl that leads a group of other teens whose mission is to protect hybrids.  The story is obviously not over (aside from being only 8 episodes ranging from 39 to 55-minutes) and I will return, but I just hope they’ll know when to stop unlike another post-apocalyptic series based on a comic book that airs on AMC.  At least this is only based on 40 issues (I’m not counting the new series) as opposed to 193 though…6/8/2021

Bonus review:

Ouija Shark                                                                 OK
(haiku review)
Title says it all.
Bad?  Sure.  Watchable?  Sure…ish.
It’s short.  You decide.  6/13/2021

*Currently available on Amazon Prime and Tubi*

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Broil  >>>B

Evil Boy  >>>EH
   (In Russian with subtitles)

Voyagers  >>>EH

---Sean O.
6/13/2021

No comments:

Post a Comment