Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Camp Twilight

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Camp Twilight                                                                        EH
Movies set at camp, be they horror or not, are usually fun.  At least they’re supposed to be.  This one was not.  Ironically, it stars Felissa Rose, most famous (at least amongst horror fans) for playing Angela in Sleepaway Camp, one of my favorite slasher movies, that came out in the early Eighties and spawned three sequels (at least two of which were fun) and contained a twist that was likely really shocking for its time.  Felissa also co-wrote and co-produced this, and all I can say is---what the hell were you thinking?!  I hope this was just a paycheck for you (Camille Keaton from the original I Spit on Your Grave also makes a cameo!).  Felissa plays a lady in charge of chaperoning a group of high school kids to the titular camp in order to avoid failing the year and bodies eventually start hitting the floor.  The kills were so lame and poorly executed, none I recall being memorable, and an axe and machete were the weapons of choice, so I should’ve loved the kills.  And if you enjoy trying to figure out the killer in these films, they practically give it away early on (even though it shouldn’t be too surprising anyway).  And not that I care for such things anymore, but there is a twist towards the end, nowhere near the level of the aforementioned film, that’s not shocking in the least and doesn’t really alter what came before; you probably won’t care by that point anyway.  If this was supposed to be (ahem) campy fun, it certainly wasn’t fun in the slightest (I actually think I’m being too lenient with my already low rating).  Stick to Felissa’s first Camp film and its two sequels for some fun horror flicks set at camp, and if you really feel up to it, check out Return to Sleepaway Camp as well.  I’d recommend that 4th film in the franchise over this garbage any day!  5/31/2021

Bonus review:

The Mosquito Coast (Season One)                              OK/G
I like Justin Theroux, previously known as Mr. Aniston and performer in titles like Mulholland Drive, The Leftovers, and (lol) Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion among many others, which is why I gave this Apple+ series a shot in the first place.  It recently ended the first season after just seven episodes (all longer than 40 minutes but under an hour) and a second season has been confirmed.  In it, Justin plays the father of an American family (including a wife, daughter, and son) that has to live in hiding for some reason (which you won’t know the answer for this season, hence a second one at least) and must flee to Mexico when certain people are in pursuit.  For the most part, the action follows them before crossing the border and while they’re in Mexico.  It may not be a great show, but I can’t deny how addicting it was, enabling me to tune in every week (yes, this is another modern show that hasn’t gotten with the times), and not just because I like Mr. Theroux.  I do wish they would’ve just added a few more episodes to this season (if anything) instead of making a whole new one because I don’t know how much longer it can sustain its somewhat welcome before becoming less addicting.  6/6/2021

Other movies and TV show(s) I’ve seen and their ratings (see above):

Above Suspicion (2021)  >>>EH

Boogie  >>>EH/OK

Endangered Species  >>>OK/G

Stage Fright (Season One)  >>>OK
            (6 episodes; available on The Roku Channel/Tubi)

Yellow Rose  >>>OK

---Sean O.
6/8/2021

No comments:

Post a Comment