Thursday, September 23, 2021

Bad Candy

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Bad Candy                                                                  OK/G
New horror anthology film just in time for the Halloween season.  It takes place on Halloween night in a town called New Salem and the wraparound segment features Corey Taylor (singer of Slipknot and Stone Sour) and Zach Galligan (Gremlins, Gremlins 2, Hatchet III, etc.) as radio hosts spinning the tales we’re presented with.  They’re all interconnected, at least they feature people in this town, and a clown (pretty gnarly too) makes an appearance in each one.  I think that clown needs its own movie; I mean, it turned people into dolls…how pumpkinfucking cool is that?!  The tales include a girl that can create monsters just by drawing them, a man putting certain things in candy (“Always check your candy,” as the age-old saying goes), a woman doing something unethical at work, a haunted house that somehow merges the past and present, and a group of men that capture and put people through an ordeal; there are at least two other ones too.  This film wasn’t great, but it wasn’t bad either; it’s not quite like Trick ‘r Treat, but that clown (the credits indicated its name might’ve been Bad Candy?) just might give Sam a run for his money (might, I said).  In all fairness, I didn’t love Trick ‘r Treat until the second or third viewing, so this might get better with age.  I’ll probably watch it again, just not this year, and I’ll recommend it (at least once) for those that like horror movies, anthology films, and Halloween, and even clowns, especially if you desire something new to check out this holiday season.  9/20/2021

Bonus review:

Aquarium of the Dead                                                 OK
Undead sea creatures.  Yes…they include sharks, dolphins, crabs, an octopus, starfish (uh-huh), and gators.  [I don’t remember ever seeing alligators or crocodiles in an aquarium, but I haven’t been to every aquarium in the world either.  I have seen hippos at one though].  You will, of course, learn why these creatures became zombies.  The creature designs aren’t the greatest, but I’ve seen worse.  I wouldn’t tell you to see this right away, or even at all, but it’s really not as bad as I thought it would be; I’ve seen worse.  The majority of characters make it somewhat worth watching.  9/21/2021

Other movies and TV show(s) I’ve seen and their ratings (see above):

Every Breath You Take  >>>EH

The Gateway (2021)  >>>EH

Intrusion (2021)  >>>EH/OK
   (Netflix)

Reservation Dogs (Season One)  >>>OK/G
   (Hulu; 8 episodes)

Wild Indian  >>>OK

The World to Come  >>>EH/OK

---Sean O.
9/23/2021

No comments:

Post a Comment