Thursday, September 30, 2021

Midnight Mass

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Midnight Mass                                                 OK/G
New limited series available on Netflix consisting of seven episodes totaling roughly seven hours (yes, each one is around the hour mark, give or take).  It was created by Mike Flanagan, who also gave us The Haunting of Hill House and The Haunting of Bly Manor, as well as films like Ouija: Origin of Evil, Gerald’s Game, and Doctor Sleep.  I was disappointed with Hill House because I expected straight-up horror, but it was equally a drama and I didn’t think the combination worked (you can read my review for it here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2018/11/mooby-reviews-11718.html).  I did like Bly Manor a bit better because I knew to expect more of a gothic romance going in (you can read my review for that here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2020/10/the-haunting-of-bly-manor.html).  I expected this to be a horror series and, while it does contain horror elements scattered here and there, it doesn’t truly show its horror self until the end of the sixth episode into the last one.  Part of me thinks it was worth the wait, but the other part of me didn’t think it needed to occur so far into the series (prepare to be patient during the first couple episodes).  I think this could’ve sufficed as a 3-hour feature, give or take.  There are too many lengthy scenes of dialogue, and not in the compelling Quentin Tarantino or (pre-Jersey Girl) Kevin Smith kind of way, but more in the “let’s get this wrapped up” kind of way.  As much as it dragged at times though, I did want to continue, and that might be because I sensed something horrific was always right around the corner and that it was only seven episodes.  It’s a vampire story, at least set up like one (the v-word is never mentioned), that takes place on an isolated island of people where religion appears to be a commonality.  I was really hoping it would make organized religion look bad, and it sort of does, but that could be a topic up for debate.  Cons aside, I think it’s a limited series worth checking out, although it definitely could’ve been condensed.  9/26/2021

Bonus review:

Witches of Blackwood                                                 OK
This film comes from Australia and you’ll recognize the one chick from the continent’s Wolf Creek as the protagonist.  She plays a police officer that travels back to the small town (Blackwood maybe?) she grew up in and something is clearly not right about this place---there aren’t too many people and the majority of those that are around are women that look ghostly (witches maybe?).  I was really hoping I could add this to the list of good witch movies considering there aren’t too many of the horror variety (the original Suspiria is probably the best one, The Craft is decent, and so is The Autopsy of Jane Doe and The Lords of Salem; The Witch was just okay, definitely overrated; I don’t count movies that may feature witches either, like Sleepy Hollow).  It had the potential to be something good too (not just okay); I mean, there’s atmosphere and it’s well-shot, but it also had the feel of a direct-to-video B-movie at times (that’s not a compliment here).  I didn’t feel as if there was enough meat on its bones either, meaning style far outweighed its substance, and the ending was a bit too upbeat for a movie that generally felt downbeat.  It is barely 80-minutes and perhaps that’s why it felt like there wasn’t enough meat on it, but, then again, it felt longer than it actually was, so I don’t know.  Someone make a good witch horror movie I can rave about!  At least they went with the far better title considering an alternate one was The Unlit!  9/24/2021

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Day 13   >>>EH

No One Gets Out Alive  >>>EH
            (Netflix)

Sacrifice (2021)  >>>OK/G

Sacrilege (2021)  >>>EH

Zola  >>>EH

---Sean O.
9/30/2021

No comments:

Post a Comment