Thursday, October 7, 2021

The Forever Purge/Under Wraps

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

The Forever Purge                                                      EH/OK
This is movie #5?  Plus there were two seasons of a TV series (I only saw the first season and don’t know if and when I’ll check out the second).  I actually gave the four preceding films a G rating according to my archives; the first two films I just rated; you can read my review for Election Year here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2016/11/mooby-reviews-11416.html and The First Purge here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2018/10/mooby-reviews-101718.html.  Much like the Final Destination and Paranormal Activity films, these films have a simple premise and you pretty much know what you’re going to get when watching; take them for what they are basically and you either like them or you don’t (like anything really).  Let’s see, every year in America there is a day where all crime, including murder, is legal for 12 hours.  In this sequel though, many decide to continue purging past the 12-hour mark, hence the Forever Purge.  That being said, this didn’t feel like a typical Purge film since the others showed a microcosmic depiction whereas this is more macrocosmic, making it seem more akin to a Mad Max film or other post-apocalyptic features, meaning there are many repetitive action sequences.  I couldn’t wait for it to be over a little more than halfway; I thought I was going to like it in the beginning too!  I think this franchise ran out of steam, but I’d say having at least four out of five passable entries makes it a fairly worthy one, no?  10/1/2021

Under Wraps                                                               OK
Recently released Disney Channel movie remake of another Disney Channel movie released in 1997.  Now, I don’t remember ever watching the original and was reminded of it not that long ago when discussing remakes with someone.  In 1997 I was a teenager and might’ve thought I was “too cool” to watch it, even though I was never “cool” (subjective term, yes, but whatever), or maybe would’ve thought it was too corny, and plus, my family didn’t have the Disney Channel back then.  I did watch the original for the first time the day before I watched this, and it was only available on YouTube which isn’t always the best platform to watch stuff.  It involves a trio of kids that accidentally wake a mummy in one of their neighbor’s houses, said neighbor having nefarious plans for said mummy.  In the meantime, the mummy escapes and the kids try concealing it the best they can after realizing it means them no harm (being Halloween season makes it a bit easier to blend in).  This remake is pretty much the same movie, but some things are done a bit differently.  The original contains no nostalgic factor for me since I just saw it, so I really wouldn’t know which one to tell you to watch, if either.  Normally I would say to watch the original, if anything, before the remake, but I’d probably just tell you to pick one and watch it this time, unless you need to see the original first (like me) and/or you have a mummy fascination.  Both weren’t bad as far as Disney Channel movies suitable for the entire family go, and both are harmless and not as corny as they could’ve been, making either one ‘okay’ viewing during this  holiday season.  Like I said, I don’t think it will matter which one you decide to watch, if either.  10/2/2021

Bonus reviews:

The Chestnut Man                                                       EH/OK
(haiku review)
New.  Netflix.  Six eps.
Murder mystery.  Denmark.
Standard; drags often.  10/4/2021

*In Danish with subtitles*

There’s Someone Inside Your House                          OK
(haiku review)
Typical slasher.
Secrets are what makes you die.
The kills are worthy.  10/6/2021

*Available on Netflix*

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Alley Cats Strike!  >>>OK/G

Clown (2019)  >>>EH

Future-Kill  >>>B/EH

Lansky   >>>EH

---Sean O.
10/7/2021

No comments:

Post a Comment