Friday, November 4, 2016

Mooby Reviews 11/4/16

Current movie reviews (mixture of recent and older flicks):

Animal                                                                         G

A group of people take a hike in the woods.  It gets dark.  A creature attacks one of them.  They happen to run into a cabin.  They take shelter.  One by one the creature makes snacks of them.  Sound familiar?  However, the creatures are practical:  +.  The creature doesn’t look too bad:  +.  (It’s almost an amalgamation of Pumpkinhead and the Feast monsters.  Come to think of it, that’s pretty much the set-up here:  The setting evoked Pumpkinhead while the action closely resembles Feast)  There’s plenty of gore, not stomach churning:  +.  Yes, it’s slightly banal (my rating is a VERY marginal G, it almost took some effort to get rid of the OK attached) but I had fun with it and I don’t think horror fans or anyone knowing what they’re getting into will expect anything less.  10/29/2016

Cherry Tree (The Devil’s Sorceress)                           OK
Titled Cherry Tree on Netflix (and originally) but called The Devil’s Sorceress through Redbox.  The Devil’s Sorceress makes it sound too much like a run-of-the-mill direct-to-video pseudo-satanic yarn.  I like Cherry Tree better because it contradicts the dark subject matter and bears significance to the story.  Taking place in Ireland I assume (somewhere over there), this film about witches incorporates elements of a teen movie, Rosemary’s Baby and Hellraiser.  It’s surprisingly well done with worthy special effects yet still feels empty.  The best witch movie is Suspiria which was made in 1977!  Why can’t there be any new witch movies worth raving about and watching more than once?  Sure, I enjoyed films like The Craft and Wicked Lake but they’re merely diverting and far from masterpieces.  I liked The Witches mostly when I was younger but that’s not a horror movie.  The Wizard of Oz has witches in it but it’s not strictly a witch movie!  I don’t count The Blair Witch Project since it’s only based on legend and we don’t actually see a witch.  Perhaps I can do better?  One day I have to write a story involving witches that I would like to see if made into a movie.  Or, the recent Wytches (Image) comic should be adapted.  I did enjoy that.  10/30/2016

Dementia                                                                     OK/G

Starts off as one movie but quickly deviates into another not far in.  Luckily the revelations are revealed shortly after the viewer figures them out; otherwise you would prematurely anticipate the ending when the characters realize what you figured out much sooner.  It’s still somewhat trite but does end on a downer, therefore it gets a G tacked onto the original OK rating.  10/29/2016

Holidays                                                                      G
Oh, anthology horror films, how I love thee.  Each one taking place on a holiday.  Awesome idea.  The results aren’t necessarily grade A but I reveled more than suffered.  It’s never swell having more duds than gems in an anthology.  I like the brevity of each segment in that they don’t overstay their welcome and aren’t blips hard to invest in like the ABCs of Death series.  Naturally some are better than others with most being simply average.  “Valentine’s Day” is predictable but no less disturbing.  “St. Patrick’s Day” is basically a twisted Irish Rosemary’s Baby that’s truly bizarre!  “Easter” has a pretty gnarly creature.  “Mother’s Day” is the weakest entry that I feel was a bit anticlimactic.  “Father’s Day” is probably the best one, being eerie and open-ended.  “Halloween” was interesting with brutal implications courtesy of Kevin Smith.  “Christmas” was a corny albeit fun Tales from the Darkside-ish segment.  Finally, “New Year’s Eve” is a standard hunter-becomes-the-hunted/there’s-always-someone-out-there-crazier-than-you Hard Candy-ish yarn that’s still worth watching for the bloodshed alone.  Not a bad selection.  I can see this becoming a franchise with different takes on each holiday, some omitted ones added in future installments (Turkey Day, Arbor Day, April Fools Day, etc.).  Pick and choose which holiday you wanna celebrate here, you’re bound to enjoy at least one.  11/2/2016

Mom’s Got a Date with a Vampire                             OK
I decided to watch this Disney channel movie (from 2000?!!) because it was free on demand.  There’s also something mildly diverting about cheesy kiddie horror-comedies. (After all, I could’ve chose to watch something else for free) These movies are the best way to introduce feeble young minds to the horror genre.  Corny, yes, but any age can enjoy especially if you’re looking for something to do.  I was reminded of Fred 2:  Night of the Living Fred starring that crazy YouTube star, Lucas Cruikshank; I thought that movie was better if you want my suggestion.  11/1/2016

MSF:  Male Seeking Female                                       EH
Briefly reading the synopsis I expected another “dollar store” rehash of Fatal Attraction and pretty much got it.  While not the worst of its ilk, it pretty much delivers exactly what I expected.  Nothing else.  F.Y.I.  My expectations were low.  I can’t complain too much since it was free but I could demand the filmmakers add 90 more minutes to my life.  10/29/2016

Nas:  Time is Illmatic                                                  OK

Nas is probably one of the best hardcore rappers still making music today.  He is intelligent while delivering a brutally honest message about street life enveloped in a humanistic manner.  Running a scant 74 minutes, everything from how his parents met, to his family moving to New York from the South, to beginning his career are included.  Not a bad success story for a high school dropout.  It’s a shame this biopic doesn’t differentiate from other rags-to-riches tales.  If Nas’ movie ruled them all, imagine that!  10/29/2016

Nerve                                                                           G
Pretty simplistic story geared towards the modern generation glued to their various social media outlets in this digital age.  The ending may be a little dull, but there’s a modicum of suspense sprinkled throughout and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  10/29/2016

Ouija:  Origin of Evil                                                  G
I had absolutely no intention to see this sequel (prequel actually) to the below average (but not as bad as everyone said it was) Ouija.  None!  At least not right away…in the theater.  Curiosity got the better of me when I read positive reviews from horror writers and fans that despised the first one (or second technically).  Turns out they were right.  Not excellent and not even best picture of the year, but I actually did enjoy this film more than Ouija.  Admittedly creepy at times, both visually and implicatively.  Writing professors say the most effective storytelling technique is to “show not tell” but there’s instances here where telling freaked me out enough to spare the showing.  (Another good example is in Jaws where Quint explains what happened in the USS Indianapolis incident---probably the creepiest part of the film)  Make sure you stay until the end of the credits or fast forward if you wait to see it on the small screen.  11/1/2016  

The Purge:  Election Year                                           G
Third time is supposed to be a charm right?  Blah, blah, blah.  I enjoyed the first Purge film but felt something was missing.  The second film added that missing element.  Here, the third time, it kept that missing element and stayed put.  You would think after two films, they would’ve went all out this time.  Usually sequels are meant to outdo the preceding entries or fail at attempting.  While I did enjoy this threequel and blood was surely shed, it loses steam midway and skimps out on the gore throughout.  I wanted more of the red stuff!  Perfect timing for the current Election Year.  There’s endless ways to make one of these movies.  Make it leaner and bloodier next time!  10/30/2016

Twitches                                                                      EH
Yes, I used to watch Sister, Sister way back in the early 90’s when it premiered.  I was a prepubescent and loved it.  The twins, Tia and Tamara Mowry, from that show play witches (twin witches, get it?) separated at birth and reuniting on their 21st birthdays, which also happens to be Halloween.  It was part of the Disney channel Halloween specials on demand and was free so I said why the hell not?  I’m open-minded, love Disney and kid-friendly entertainment.  This is standard, harmless, childish fare squarely for tweens and probably some teens.  It felt a lot longer than 87 minutes though.  11/3/2016
Twitches Too                                                               VB
Well, it was free and I had to watch it if I just watched the first one.  I thought the first one was lame?  This was 1,000 times worse!  In a review above I complained about the lack of witches in cinema.  Shit like this will continue to neglect them.  This wasn’t even really a witch movie.  It was just girls with magic powers like the first one.  This was more like a princess movie.  There’s nothing wrong with that (I’m open-minded) but I would hope a movie about anything would be better than this.  I hope they don’t make Twitches Three because my OCD would make me have to watch it.  If so, please don’t tell me about it.  11/4/2016

Within                                                                          OK
This had a decent set-up.  I sometimes feel like someone is watching from behind and will disappear when I turn around.  It begins as a semi-creepy haunted house film but the midway revelation is a bit of a letdown.  I actually liked the characters though and it doesn’t end on a positive note---points!  Just decent.  11/3/2016

---Sean O.

No comments:

Post a Comment