Saturday, October 16, 2021

Night of the Animated Dead

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Night of the Animated Dead                                        OK/G
Night of the Living Dead, the original 1968 version helmed by the late George A. Romero, is not only one of my favorite zombie movies, but one of my favorite movies in general.  The 1990 remake helmed by the legendary Tom Savini was decent too.  Was this animated update necessary?  Probably not, but the majority, if not all, of remakes aren’t really necessary (I’ve probably said that countless times too).  If you’re very much familiar with the original film (like yours truly), you’ll know what to expect…in animated form (I mean, a very few things are done a bit differently).  If there’s a chance you actually haven’t seen the original, or even the remake, and you call yourself a horror fan, or general cinema buff, then what the hell have you been waiting for?  If you do happen to be one of those people that hasn’t seen it though (and I totally suggest you do), you might think this is an enjoyable zombie film.  The animation may not be of the highest quality, but there is gore (likely what earned its R-rating) and the scenes us fans know so well were recreated satisfactorily.  No, this absolutely does not replace the original, but I think it’s a decent rendition for NOTLD fans that’s barely over an hour.  From what I remember, it’s a whole lot better than that 2009 film, Night of the Living Dead: Reanimated (my archives indicate I gave it zero out of four stars, when I did star ratings, and a movie had to be completely horrendous for me to give it that low of a rating!).  10/11/2021

Bonus review:

Scaredy Cats
I took a chance with this new family series on Netflix only because it was on a ‘Netflix and Chills’ list that provides titles and dates of new releases during the Halloween season.  Plus, I like to think I’m a bit open-minded.  This series is corny as hell, yes, and I should’ve figured when seeing a logo for Air Bud Entertainment before each episode (you know, that franchise featuring dogs that play sports?); I can’t honestly say I’ve ever seen a single one of those Air Bud movies and don’t have a desire to, ever (guess I’m not as open-minded as I thought).  It consists of 9 episodes, the first one being over 40-minutes and the rest being under 30.  Yes, I did actually watch the entire series; I didn’t binge it though, just watched one or two episodes at a time, usually just one.  It involves three pre-teen girls that eventually learn they’re witches; they can turn into cats that do talk and there are other animals that talk too; there are also two “bad” witches that want an amulet one of the girls owns.  If you thought Hocus Pocus was corny…ha, let’s just say the creators of this probably said, “Hold my beer” (the way in which the bad witches are “defeated” at the end of the last episode is one of the corniest scenes I’ve seen in a very long while!).  Yes, that witch movie from 1993 is highly overrated and I’m amazed at how much cult status it received over the years (it’s strictly nostalgic for me since I saw it in the theater as a pre-teen, but it’s still corny).  I re-watched that Olsen twin witch movie, Double, Double, Toil and Trouble (also from 1993), to compare corniness and this certainly scores higher on the corny scale (Double was the more boring entry though).  How did I manage to watch this entire series if I keep saying how corny it was?  I’m not sure, I guess I love anything to do with Halloween and maybe it was a bit tolerable since I watched it in segments and the episodes weren’t too long (hell, as corny as Hocus Pocus may be, I do still watch it every once in a while, usually years in between, mostly for nostalgic reasons, as mentioned).  Now, as someone pushing 40, for those that have spawn within this show’s target audience, it’s a little tolerable if you’re forced to watch it with them (of course there’s no need to accompany them since it’s harmless and rated TV-G), but I really don’t think anyone past age-12 will find it appealing.  10/7/2021

Other movies and TV show(s) I’ve seen and their ratings (see above):

Censor   >>>EH/OK

The Green Knight  >>>B

Muppets Haunted Mansion  >>>EH/OK
            (Disney+)

---Sean O.
10/16/2021

No comments:

Post a Comment