Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Elves (Season One)

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Elves (Season One)                                                     G
Just in time for the holiday season!  The titular beings aren’t jolly toymakers in this Danish Netflix series though; they are mythological creatures with sharp teeth that will kill you!  It does take place around Christmas, therefore it is a Christmas series (yes, Die Hard is a Christmas movie for those of you still debating it since it takes place around the holiday, so shut up about it; so is Batman Returns and many others I could probably list), consisting of 6 episodes ranging from 20-26 minutes each, totaling a little over 2 hours (therefore, you can binge it in one sitting).  Since it takes place in Denmark, yes, there are subtitles for those not fluent in Danish.  A family of four travel to an island to spend the holiday, said island containing those titular creatures fenced off from this small island community (of course you’ll gradually learn the reasoning behind everything).  I was reminded of Gremlins (takes place around Christmas, there’s a cute little elf not quite like the bigger elves), The Village (thematically; these creatures are very real), and Wayward Pines.  The creature designs are definitely worthy and the episodes go by really fast (points for brevity without feeling too inadequate).  I enjoyed this series enough to recommend it.  I’m sure you’ve watched movies just as long (or longer) that were worse.  11/29/2021

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Karen  >>>EH

Malignant  >>>EH

13 Minutes  >>>OK

‘Twas the Fight Before Christmas  >>>B
            (Apple+)

---Sean O.
11/30/2021

No comments:

Post a Comment