Tuesday, November 16, 2021

The Beta Test

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

The Beta Test                                                              OK
Confession---I kind of developed a crush on Jim Cummings.  Granted, he isn’t the sexiest man alive; it’s more of a celebrity crush type thing.  I admire his presence, leave it at that!  This is the third film he directed and starred in (he also made appearances in films like Halloween Kills and The Block Island Sound).  Thunder Road was just okay, nothing special (I gave it an OK rating).  The Wolf of Snow Hollow was decent; for those that couldn’t stand that film (as I’ve come across several), I don’t think you’re going to care too much for this one.  I’ll admit that I was only interested in checking this out right away because I saw Jim Cummings was in it and it was a new horror film.  Well, it’s labeled as a horror film, but it most definitely is not; maybe a thriller, if that, with somewhat of a mystery.  This movie is really about nothing.  I mean, Jim Cummings works at a film-type company in Hollywood and receives an invitation to a sex party of sorts and tries to get to the bottom of it after actually attending (it’s not really a party, just a one-on-one experience involving blindfolds).  So, it does involve that.  It may sound like there’s a mystery to it, but there really isn’t.  Like I said, this movie really isn’t much of anything.  If you don’t like Jim Cummings, you’re likely going to hate it given he’s pretty much in the entire movie (hell, he’s pretty much the movie); he sure is an asshole here, and that might just mean convincing acting.  My rating is strictly personal due to that aforementioned Jim Cummings infatuation, but also because I was slightly intrigued the entire time despite really being about nothing; I didn’t check the time once or see how much time was remaining and that should mean something I suppose.  It currently has a 94% rating out of 72 critics on Rotten Tomatoes though, so what do I know?  Perhaps there are others fascinated with Jim Cummings?  Or there actually is more to the movie than I initially grasped and I’ll have to watch it again?  I don’t know.  Mr. Cummings directed three very different films so far, none quite spectacular (The Wolf of Snow Hollow being my favorite so far), but as long as I’m still fascinated with him, I’ll keep watching and maybe one day he’ll present us with his crowning achievement.  11/13/2021

Bonus reviews:

Home Sweet Home Alone
Recently-released remake of the 1990 holiday classic available on Disney+.  Technically parts 3, 4 and 5 were remakes too since they all featured different performers, and this could arguably be a sequel to Home Alone 2 since a character from the first two films makes an appearance and references those two films.  Whatever, this is a modern version with different performers and contains the same parameters as the other films---a young kid is left home alone (during the holiday season), people try breaking into his house, and he sets up booby traps for them.  The two people breaking in aren’t burglars, just down-on-their-luck folks that need to retrieve an item they believe was stolen by the young boy during an open house, said item worth enough to pay for their house they can’t currently afford.  Was this remake unnecessary?  Absolutely!  It isn’t the worst film I’ve seen though and wasn’t a complete waste of time.  I mean, there are some funny parts (not the fart scene; I don’t know why people still think farts are funny; plus it was predictable) and I was curious to see the traps concocted (which were silly but somewhat fun, like usual).  I have a feeling the majority of people that’ll check it out will be out of curiosity, especially those of us that remember when the original film was released (I can’t believe it’s been over 30 years!).  Please, if you have kids though and they haven’t been introduced to the franchise yet, do not let this be the first one they watch, especially since the original, plus parts 2 and 3, are available on the same channel!  One character even made a comment about remakes never being as good as the originals.  Hmm…11/14/2021

Olaf Presents (Season One)
(haiku review)
Five Disney movies.
Re-enactments by Olaf.
Cute two-minute eps.  11/14/2021

*Available on Disney+*

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

The Evil Next Door  >>>OK/G
   (In Swedish with subtitles)

Jungle Cruise  >>>EH/OK

Reminiscence  >>>EH

Witch Hunt (2021)  >>>EH

---Sean O.
11/16/2021

No comments:

Post a Comment