Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Barbarian

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Barbarian                                                                    OK
I thought the preview looked good, and I really wanted to see it after so many horror fans/publications recommended it.  I really need to stop looking forward to movies based on other opinions and/or expectations.  This has 4 out of 5 stars on the All Movie site and currently a 92% rating on Rotten Tomatoes out of 131 critics.  Did they all see the same movie?  Have they seen enough movies?  This is a classic example of a movie that starts off really good and gets several notches worse once all is revealed.  I really fucking hate when that shit happens!  In it, a young woman travels to a house in a decrepit neighborhood (we don’t know that at first since she arrives at night while raining) to stay for an interview in the area.  When she arrives the key isn’t in the lockbox and we learn a young man (Bill Skarsgard) booked the same place.  That’s not suspicious, especially in a horror movie.  There is more to the story than that and we eventually (and expectedly) learn this house contains more than meets the eye within.  Like I said, this started off really good with a strong sense of dread, despite that shady beginning and characters doing stupid things you mentally criticize them for, but the last third ruined it for me.  I was hoping this was going to be a really good movie based on the first two-thirds, and based on what was said about it.  The reveals felt clichéd (as disturbing as some may have been) and somewhat laughable despite a serious tone.  It was predictable at times too (eye-rollingly so).  If anything, wait to watch this really cheap (or free), but don’t expect much (that way you might not be as disappointed as I was).  9/20/2022

Bonus review:

Elvis                                                                            EH/OK
According to Wikipedia, there are currently six biopics and six documentaries on “the King of Rock and Roll.”  This is the only one I’ve seen.  Sure, I know all about him through various other sources and have seen films that included him (I don’t think Forrest Gump and Bubba Ho-Tep count though).  I like an Elvis song here and there, but can’t quite say I’m a big fan.  I don’t dislike him.  Regardless of how you may feel about the man, one can’t deny his impact on modern history (I remember a professor in a radio class I took years ago mentioning Elvis made his type of music popular for white audiences, and this film certainly didn’t deny that fact).  My late grandmother had an entire room filled with his memorabilia.  People like her are who you should probably ask for their opinion on this film.  As for those that aren’t a fan or know not much about the guy, is this roughly 2 ½ hour film directed by Baz Luhrmann (Romeo + Juliet, Moulin Rouge!) worth it?  I think if no one knew who “the King” was beforehand they should be able to get somewhat of an idea of his life during his famous years, as this chronicles when he was discovered to his death at age 42 (with the occasional flashback scene).  I do think much of it felt rushed though, similar to a research paper/article only listing specific times without much detail, thereby not making it feel like a very intimate portrayal.  Austin Butler (Aliens in the Attic, various Disney and Nickelodeon properties, that crapfest Yoga Hosers, etc.) did fine as the singer though.  Since there are other adaptations and likely to be more, will there ever be a definitive version regardless of how the general consensus feels (which, needless to say, is always subjective)?  I may not have seen any other films on Mr. Presley (and, needless to say, each movie should be judged on its own as if no other version exists), but this latest one (overall) didn’t make me feel any different about him than I had before, nor make me develop more of an appreciation.  Like I said though, perhaps someone like my late grandmother would be a better person to ask.  R.I.P.  Grandmom!  9/19/2022

Other movies and TV show(s) I’ve seen and their ratings (see above):

Echoes   >>>EH/OK
   (Netflix; 7 episodes)

End of the Road  >>>OK
            (Netflix)

Fresh  >>>OK/G
   (Hulu)

Lantern’s Lane  >>>EH

No Chocolate, No Rice  >>>OK

Swim  >>>EH/OK
   (Tubi)

Vengeance (2022)  >>>EH/OK

Where the Crawdads Sing  >>>OK

---Sean O.
9/21/2022

1 comment:

  1. Hmm. I was looking forward to watching this one. I probably will still watch it, but shame about the reveal!

    ReplyDelete