Monday, April 17, 2023

Infinity Pool/Doll Shark

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Infinity Pool
I thought the title made it sound like another superhero movie upon first hearing of it before finding out it was a horror flick.  Well, horror, thriller, sci-fi; whatever it is it clearly isn’t for everyone.  It is helmed by Brandon Cronenberg, the son of the other Cronenberg, who also gave us Possessor and Antiviral (you can check out my review of Possessor here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2020/12/possessor.html; my thoughts on Antiviral are included which I only gave a B rating to back when it came out).  I didn’t know much about this film other than it receiving lots of positive reviews and involved a vacation gone wrong.  ‘Vacation gone wrong’ is a pretty accurate description, but don’t make any generalized assumptions.  A couple (the dude played by Alexander Skarsgard) is vacationing in a foreign country (the name is mentioned more than once) wherein certain crimes may lead to execution.  This country has more than one way of executing though.  Things get trippy, bizarre, and depraved from there.  [Mia Goth’s performance is probably equally as psychotic as her eponymous Pearl character].  It doesn’t really entail much when all is said and done, but I have a feeling I’m going to be revisiting sometime in the future.  It’s certainly not forgettable…4/16/2023 

Doll Shark                                                                   EH/OK
What will be thought of next for the toothy predators?  Yes, this is exactly what you think it is.  A shark stuffie kills people.  Is this roughly 75-minute feature dumb?  Obviously, but WTF do you expect?  It will undoubtedly make people like me curious enough to check it out.  Is it funny?  Or at least laughably bad?  Sometimes.  There are kills; it’s not lacking in that department.  And what enables the innocuous and cuddly plush toy to become sentient (and downright evil-looking) is actually pretty plausible.  In movie world, that is.  This particular kind of movie world, that is.  Proceed only if you’re curious like me.  As I mentioned, it is exactly what you think it is…4/15/2023

Other movies and TV show(s) I’ve seen and their ratings (see above):

Bumblef***, USA  >>>OK

Creature from Black Lake  >>>EH/OK

Dead Hot:  Season of the Witch  >>>EH
                        (Tubi)

The House of the Dead (1978)  >>>OK

The Lost Footage of Leah Sullivan  >>>OK

Missing (2023)  >>>OK/G

Plane  >>>OK

Red Velvet  >>>EH/OK

School Spirits (Season One)  >>>OK/G
            (Paramount+; 8 episodes)

Wake in Fright (2017)   >>>OK/G

---Sean O.
4/17/2023

No comments:

Post a Comment