Friday, April 28, 2023

Scream VI

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Scream VI                                                                   G
Before the initial release, comparisons were made to Friday the 13th Part VIII:  Jason Takes Manhattan due to both franchises (slasher ones) taking place in New York while the preceding entries did not (I don’t recall any nods to that film, but I could swear there were at least two to Jurassic Park).  Whereas this film took place entirely in the Big Apple, the Friday entry did not (not even half the time).  Jason Takes Manhattan is my least favorite of the Friday franchise (I don’t count the remake), but I didn’t feel that way about this entry for this franchise.  I liked it better than the fifth one released last year (you can read my review for it in here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2022/01/last-night-in-sohoscream-2022.html) and some of the other sequels.  It follows some of the survivors from the previous film as they’re now in New York instead of Woodsboro.  In true slasher fashion, of course, they may live somewhere else, but Ghostface will follow (as Ghostface is always someone different behind the mask and can easily go anywhere in the world).  [You will need to have seen the other entries before this as there are spoilers, but, like always, why would you watch a sixth film in a series before watching the preceding ones?  My OCD would never allow it, even if some had nothing to do with the others].  Sure, some of this may be predictable (what do you expect from a slasher feature, meta or not, in 2023?) and I feel they held back on some of the violence, but they do still play around with the tropes at times, and considering how stale the subgenre is by now (hell, how stale movies in general are by now), I enjoyed it enough to recommend it.  As of now, a seventh entry isn’t confirmed and I’m not exactly sure there needs to be one, but I didn’t think a sixth entry for this franchise made in 2023 would be passable, so…4/26/2023

Other movies and TV show(s) I’ve seen and their ratings (see above):

Black Circle Boys  >>>OK

Fear (2023)  >>>B

Florida Man  >>>EH
   (Netflix; 7 episodes)

Little Witches  >>>VB

---Sean O.
4/28/2023

No comments:

Post a Comment