Sunday, February 12, 2017

Mooby Reviews 2/12/2017

Current batch of film reviews:

Abattoir                                                                       OK/G

Apparently this is based on a 6-issue comic book series with the same name in my possession.  Looks like I have to browse my comic archives and do a post-movie comparison.  Comparing a comic book will be easier than a printed book since comics come with their own visuals.  I don’t remember a single thing from the comics, so I essentially went into this movie blind.  Therefore, after I re-read the series, I might reconsider my rating and possibly re-watch.  Even though I don’t like to compare different mediums like I used to, I can’t help the instinctual criticism.  Anyway, the movie is really well-shot and suspenseful.  I didn’t expect less from the same guy that helmed three of the Saw movies and Repo! The Genetic Opera.  He was also involved with the comic.  A featurette included states the movie begins like Seven, becomes The Wicker Man, and ends like Hellraiser.  That’s a fairly accurate description.  It’s certainly a novel idea involving crime scenes.  While I was engaged most of the time, I also felt that style trumped substance.  Let me re-read the comics and get back to you.  2/9/2017

Blackway                                                                     OK
Ray Liotta is Blackway.  Everyone in the surrounding area fears him.  A girl (Julia Stiles) returns from Seattle and is attacked by Blackway.  Blackway then kills her cat.  She goes to the cops.  They “can’t” do anything.  She takes matters into her own hands by enlisting the aid of two gentlemen (one played by Anthony Hopkins and a younger dude).  They go all over trying to find Blackway (sorta reminded me of Winter’s Bone) with each person claiming not to know where he’s at.  That’s basically all that happens until the bland conclusion.  No curveballs are thrown.  The Pacific Northwest setting is what makes this film.  I’d like to visit the region sometime and this movie is great to look at.  The performers are good too.  Take a look at this film if you have absolutely nothing else to do, there’s nothing else to watch, and you have some time to kill.  Otherwise, you’ll probably think time was lost watching this straightforward thriller.  2/12/2017

Fun Size Horror: Volume One                                    OK
Here’s an anthology film in the vein of The ABCs of Death I stumbled across when browsing free movies via On Demand.  Much like the aforementioned anthology, these bite size vignettes don’t allow enough time for investment.  Anthologies like Creepshow, Creepshow 2, Trick ‘R Treat, Chillers and Tales from the Crypt episodes are perfect because they give ample time to involve the audience without overstaying their welcome.  Some stories end too soon, some actually run too long, and some are completely unnecessary.  Standouts include “Persephone,” “Mr. Hendrix” and “The Creepy Fucking Kid in Apartment B.”  “Persephone” I believe would make a good feature length film; I was upset when the short ended.  Ditto for “Mr. Hendrix” which is kinda creepy and could possibly become iconic.  “Happy Birthday” is slightly cruel.  “A Dog and His Boy” is the funniest thing I’ve seen lately.  Like anthologies and fun size candies in a Halloween bowl, you have to pick what you like and steer clear of what you don’t.  Also like fun size candies, some of these films may be short, sweet and satisfying but not as much as the regular size.  I assume more volumes are planned if this is titled Volume One.  Perhaps they might consider condensing the trick-or-treat bowl and upgrading to bigger pieces next time?  2/8/2017

Kevin Hart:  What Now?                                            G
I don’t love Kevin nor do I dislike him.  I seem to like his stand-up more than his feature films.  I did think some of this was funny, but primarily thought he was a good storyteller.  I didn’t expect it to be over nor did I want it to end when it did, so that’s a plus for me.  It’s also part of history since this was allegedly the first time a comedian sold out an NFL stadium.  I noticed a diverse group of people attending in which Mr. Hart acknowledges at the end, proclaiming “If y’all can laugh together, y’all can live together.”  Could diversity be promoted any better?  2/12/2017

Morgan                                                                       OK/G

Several reviews on Rotten Tomatoes compared this to Ex Machina.  I never saw that but nothing is truly fresh these days anyhow.  Sure, this may be derivative and I predicted the ending almost right away, but this is well-made and never boring.  However, I do think the fight scenes are out of place and belong more in a Jason Bourne movie.  Maybe I should watch Ex Machina2/6/2017

The 9th Life of Louis Drax                                           OK
I thought this movie looked interesting and curiosity won when seeing it was directed by the same guy behind High Tension and the The Hills Have Eyes and Piranha remakes.  The story begins compellingly but the middle is sluggish and sappy.  It would’ve been more involving to see more of the comatic subconscious world, but this wasn’t directed by Tim Burton or Guillermo del Toro.  The ending’s actually slightly dark and mildly depressing.  This movie is like a sandwich having good bread with nothing so great in between.  2/9/2017

Phantom Boy                                                              OK
The story’s generic as they come but the animation is astonishing.  I was awe-struck by the rendering of New York City from all angles, accomplished by Frenchmen.  The boy in question does say he doesn’t know how he can leave his body, he just can.  So can anyone else staying in the hospital apparently.  Is it something only patients in that specific hospital can do?  He never encounters anyone outside the hospital in his phantom state.  Also, if he doesn’t know how he can spectrally leave his body, how does he know he’ll disappear forever if not returning to his physical body in time?  Like all movies with similar warnings, there is a way to return from obsolescence.  How did the rescuer know how to accomplish this if they didn’t communicate with him as a phantom?  He wouldn’t have known anyway if he thought he was gonna evaporate.  Perhaps I’m being too critical and looking too much into it and should just enjoy its bittersweet simplicity?  I only notice these things when noticeable and unanswered.  Oh, if you want to know how “Picasso Face” became that way, you’re going to have to draw your own conclusion.  2/7/2017

Rings                                                                           OK
I guess this would technically be The Ring Three?  It’s more a remake of The Ring, or re-imaging if you will.  In the beginning, I thought I was watching Final Destination, and at the end I thought I was watching Don’t Breathe for a second.  I still am a fan of The Ring.  The Ring Two was a typical sequel:  not as good, okay, easily forgotten.  That’s basically how I feel about this one.  While there are references and flashbacks to the first two, Samara has a slightly different backstory this time and was never found before.  How were more images on the tape never discovered before?  Back when The Ring came out, DVD players were still in their infancy and most people still had VCR’s.  In future installments, the video is going to be solely digital.  I don’t think any more sequels are necessary though.  2/9/2017

Shark Exorcist                                                             B/EH
Satan with Jaws.  What an awesome tagline.  Satan embodying a shark.  What an awesome idea.  What a terrible movie.  The fake shark with yellow eyes is actually “okay” and gets a C- passing grade.  A major editing problem exists here.  People appear to be attacked before the shark is even near.  You see the shark swim up after the victims start thrashing.  There’s also some poorly-executed and nonsensical Exorcist homage’s (hence the Exorcist part of the title) happening in between.  I’m all for cheesiness (as anyone that knows me will attest to) but I expect to enjoy it and for some effort to be involved.  The idea and beginnings of a gnarly constructed shark are the only things this has going for it.  Also, there’s a 10-minute post-credits sequence involving a young girl marveling over stuffed sharks in an aquarium, ending with her spewing orange liquid outside a building.  My only guess:  To reiterate you just watched a pointless movie involving sharks and exorcism?  2/6/2017

Trolls                                                                           G
This movie brought out the kid in me.  For the most part.  It does lose steam halfway but not entirely.  It’s so colorful and creative at times.  It also has the age-old moral demonstrating everyone, or everything in this case, has the ability to be happy if they put their mind to it.  I kinda wish the movie focused primarily on the Trolls.  I didn’t care much for the Bergens, which were basically Shrek’s uglier cousins.  2/12/2017

USS Indianapolis: Men of Courage                            OK/G

I’ve always been curious about what exactly went down (!) on the USS Indianapolis every time I hear Quint tell the chilling story in Jaws.  I was a newborn going in so it’s not my place to say whether any of this is based on fact or not.  As a movie itself, it combines a decent mixture of war-based disaster and natural horror.  Think U-571 meets Open Water with more shark attacks.  Some of the sharks are creepy while others appear straight from a generic SyFy movie.  There’s enough shark attacks to go around but I still think Quint’s story is more frightening.  Two of the men from the actual event retell parts of their ordeal after the movie and they make it sound more terrifying.  Movies based on true stories will never equal the terror for those that lived it.  This is strictly popcorn entertainment.  2/6/2017

---Sean O.

No comments:

Post a Comment