Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Mooby Reviews 2/1/17

Here's my current batch of film critiques...

The Autopsy of Jane Doe                                            G

I’m not sure I would’ve been interested with that title, but curiosity always gets the better of me when a movie is praised in the horror world.  It’s always dangerous expecting a masterpiece and ending up less than satisfied, much like a critically panned film not being as bad as expected.  That’s why sometimes I wish I could see movies before anyone writes or talks about them.  Since I would’ve had no initial desire like stated, I might’ve liked this even better than I did.  I did like it though.  It began as a predetermined predictable film I kept focused on due to being critically lauded.  It’s certainly not for the squeamish at first.  I’m personally repulsed by biology.  The mortuary scenes weren’t too grotesque though and were actually necessary.  They were very realistic but no more gross than the one Saw sequel (where the actual stomach is pulled out and cut open) and I was able to keep my Chinese food down.  Things take a radically different turn halfway through.  Morgues (or any place containing dead bodies) are inherently creepy and adding walking corpses on a stormy night seals the deal.  I was actually surprised by the final revelation which might make for better successive viewings.  Like mentioned, I think I might’ve been more surprised if unaware what I was getting into.  Then again, with no knowledge, I might’ve predicted an outcome and lost interest well before the ending.  Maybe hype isn’t so bad after all?  Sometimes.  1/29/2017

Closet Monster                                                            OK/G

Movies like this make me hate reviewing because I don’t know what to write or what rating to give.  This coming-of-age movie about a mostly closeted kid growing up in Newfoundland is thoroughly engaging with moments of creativity, but delivers a fair portion of what I’ve seen before.  I hate when a gay kid meets a guy he’s attracted to and they somehow end up together at least once, whether the other guy is straight or not.  It doesn’t work that way in reality.  Yes, I know this is a movie but if you’re trying to replicate real life, don’t turn it into a fairy (no pun intended) tale like much of what I’ve been seeing lately.  One particular standout is when the kid’s mother gives him a speech about how he’s never had it easy and probably never will so it’s best to develop a thick skin.  Brutal honesty!  It’s what some people need to hear however unwarranted.  1/29/2017

Come and Find Me                                                     B

I hated this movie.  I couldn’t wait for it to end after 20 minutes.  It was almost 2 hours.  Yes, she is still alive just like he (and I) figured out.  Well, at least she’s still alive until the very end.  I think.  I just spoiled it for you.  I don’t want you to waste 2 hours of your life like I did.  1/26/2017

Death Race 2050                                                        OK
I hated this in the beginning.  I thought the violence was corny and the characters irritating.  Undeniably, it ends up being quite a bit of fun.  It’s never boring.  Seeing yet another post-apocalyptic futuristic America is interesting.  The violence is equally nauseating and cheap.  The characters are generally irritating throughout but I guess they had to be in order to rack up points by running over pedestrians for sport; babies and senior citizens tallied more!  I suppose once 2050 comes around, Death Race 2100 will be made.  1/26/2017

Girl Asleep                                                                  G
Here’s an imaginative allegorical film about a girl’s transition into early womanhood from the Land Down Under obviously set in the ‘70’s.  Combining elements of Alice in Wonderland, Napoleon Dynamite and Wes Anderson, I only hated a few parts.  I think it could’ve been a little longer too.  2/1/2017

Maximum Ride                                                            EH
This is basically a “dollar store” version of X-Men with elements of Twilight and Species tossed in.  I didn’t know this was based on part of a series of books written by the renowned James Patterson.  I also didn’t think the title would be the name of a character.  I have no intention of watching any probable sequels.  I think I’ll stop here.  1/31/2017

Neither Heaven Nor Earth                                          OK
I liked the mystery of this French film taking place in Afghanistan.  Sadly, that’s all there is to it.  This felt like the equivalent of a Joyce Carol Oates short story:  good build-up with an incomplete conclusion.  I know some stories are meant to end that way, but I felt cheated when this ended.  Perhaps I might appreciate this more after reading other reviews, specifically from horror writers?  Perhaps, but everyone is their own critic.  Yeah, there’s several movies I wasn’t initially crazy about but ended up loving after getting other opinions and having repeat viewings.  So perhaps I might like it better the second time but I’m giving you my first impression for now.  1/29/2017

Sugar Mountain                                                          EH
Lying gets you nowhere and into more and more trouble with more than one person.  That’s basically what this forgettable movie set in Alaska (my birthplace) tries to portray.  Also that money is the root of all problems.  Also that people will do anything to make money.  Two hard-up brothers devise a plan to have one of them “go missing” while hiking on the titular mountain, thinking the story will make them famous.  Of course things don’t necessarily go as planned and, like the hoax itself, the movie turns into a complete joke and a waste of time.  The movie isn’t tonally synched with the subject matter.  I think I’ll just let Mr. Neil Young tell me about “Sugar Mountain” instead.  I also think Cary Elwes is desperate for a paycheck these days.  1/26/2017

Train to Busan                                                            G
Pretty good zombie flick from South Korea.  At least it didn’t take place entirely in a train because that would’ve been too limiting.  Highlights:  Zombie deer.  Zombie pile-ups bursting through glass.  Zombies only reacting to sighted movement in light (halfway like Jurassic Park’s T-Rex, no?).  You could do worse in this dead (!) subgenre.  1/26/2017

---Sean O.

No comments:

Post a Comment