Sunday, February 26, 2017

Mooby Reviews 2/27/2017

Here's my recent movie critiques...

The Accountant                                                           B

I thought this was heading somewhere at first but it only gets worse and worse.  It’s too jumbled and I lost interest by the time it reverted to each section.  I figured out the “twist” right away from watching too many movies.  I didn’t care by then anyway.  When it ended, I felt like I just watched 2 hours of nothing.  2/18/2017

American Pastoral                                                      OK

This movie set primarily during the ‘60’s goes to show that current events differ little.  Race riots and violent protests occur today for different reasons yet similar politics.  One thing I will say about Dakota Fanning’s character is that she walks the walk unlike most privileged people protesting but doing zilch about it.  Turns out her life gets much worse after running away from home but she still sticks with her principles.  It’s amazing how her own mother eventually writes her off just because of her beliefs.  I don’t recall meeting David Strathairn’s younger character so what makes him so important to tell the story and why is he introduced at all?  He only claims he knew Ewan McGregor’s character growing up.  Ewan knows how to direct but this movie feels empty overall.  2/18/2017

Bad Santa 2                                                                 OK/G
I am a fan of Bad Santa and recall having no desire to see it upon release.  It was funny, raunchy and mean-spirited.  Something we don’t see much of in (non-horror) Christmas movies.  This sequel is also funny, raunchy and mean-spirited.  It also feels parodical at times, like when Billy Bob gets lucky in several public places.  Those parts aren’t funny.  It’s kinda creepy how fatty Thurman Merman has the same mentality as 13 years ago.  It’s also funny in the way Will Ferrell is funny in Elf because he doesn’t know any better.  It doesn’t quite have the same novel charm this time, but if you were a fan of Bad Santa, it’s probably not gonna hurt to check this one out.  2/23/2017

The Crooked Man                                                       VB
This doesn’t pertain to the character from The Conjuring 2.  In fact, I would’ve preferred a spin-off.  My main beef with this film is with the Crooked Man himself:  poorly-executed CGI that would’ve worked just fine with practical make-up.  The special effects are just as lame as everything else in this crapfest.  Even his “crooked” house sucks.  The Crooked Man kills a girl at a sleepover and returns six years later (after another girl accused of murdering that girl is released from an institution) to kill everyone else there that night.  The Crooked Man couldn’t kill everyone while she was away?  The kills are extremely unsuspenseful and flairless.  I’m not even sure if those are real words or not.  Watching stupid movies like this are making me stupid!  I hated this movie.  I’d be flabbergasted to see a movie worse than this before 2018, but there’s ten months left and other contenders are probably saying “hold my beer.”  I’ll stick to the same-titled (but no relation whatsoever) anti-straight short story by Charles Beaumont thank you very much!  2/17/2017

I’m Not Ashamed                                                        OK
I am absolutely not a fan of religious or faith-based movies.  I gave this a shot because it was based on one of the Columbine victims.  I have a strange fascination with certain tragic histories especially if I was alive and aware when they occurred.  I remember when the shooting happened, I was saddened for the victims’ families yet also strangely fascinated.  I hated most people in my high school but never thought of bringing in guns, and I watched violent movies.  Columbine wasn’t even the first school (or mass) shooting nor did it have the most casualties, but it birthed a whole bunch of copycats and the name alone became synonymous with mass shootings or violent youth in general.  I like the narrative technique here since people usually remember the killer(s) and never the victims.  I think it could be more disturbing as well because we’re witnessing their life before it tragically ends.  The only victim recognized for a bit was Cassie, the girl allegedly shot for saying she believed in God.  This movie focuses on another victim, Rachel Scott, who also happened to find God before being murdered.  I find it hard to believe a pretty girl like her (both in this movie and real life) felt invisible in school.  If she wasn’t caught sneaking out one night and sent to visit her relatives (played by members of Duck Dynasty no less) in Louisiana (the Deep South no less), she never would’ve considered Christianity.  It always takes a wrongdoing or years of wrongdoings to make people better themselves by believing in an invisible deity apparently not needed or present in their life before that.  It’s funny how focus is never on a mean Christian acting in opposition to their doctrines, or an atheist making an impact on lives like Rachel.  Where indeed was God when Rachel’s short life was taken from her?  Believers would say it was her time or blame it on Satan, but if she was an atheist they would blame her lack of faith.  I’m sure Rachel was a very nice girl as she claimed (at least in the movie) she wasn’t an “intolerant, self-righteous, hypocritical” Christian.  I’d like to see a movie about a non-religious victim (from Columbine or any other tragedy) and see that people are equally upset about their death.  Regardless of anyone’s beliefs, Rachel and the other victims weren’t “meant to be there.”  They were in the wrong place at the wrong time.  2/23/2017

The LEGO Batman Movie                                          G
I was a huge fan of The LEGO Movie and didn’t expect to be.  I like Batman here and there.  I prefer the Tim Burton-era Batman’s since those were the ones I grew up with and I’m a big Burton fan.  This wasn’t as good as LEGO Movie but it was still fun.  I enjoyed it more than some live-action versions.  I know I’m going to have to watch it again because there was too much to take in the first time.  You may not necessarily have to be a Batman fan to enjoy this but it would help to at least be aware of all the characters.  There’s two messages underlying all this mayhem:  the traditional storytelling construct indicating heroes wouldn’t exist without villains, plus the age-old theme suggesting there’s usually a reason people act the way they do.  2/17/2017

Manchester by the Sea                                                G
Kudos to Kenneth Lonergan for placing the death in the beginning.  The structure benefits this film greatly.  We’re presented with flashbacks throughout the present day.  If the film would’ve been linear preceding the inevitable untimely death, this could’ve been much sappier.  There’s more than one tragedy presented and they’re handled solemnly but surprisingly not as depressing as the subject matter.  Tone!  All about tone!  The younger Affleck plays an apartment janitor living a seemingly miserable existence (and you’ll understand why) until he returns home to take care of some unwanted family affairs.  This shows your life could always be worse and today’s problems can be replaced by bigger problems tomorrow.  The performers are very good and the familial strife even after a death in the family rings true.  People argue.  Families argue.  Mr. Lonergan feels no need to sugarcoat relationships since reality isn’t perfect like a 1950’s sitcom.  While I did like this film, it does run a bit longer than it should.  Still, this is better than several of big brother Ben’s recent flicks (one of them reviewed above).  2/26/2017

Stake Land II                                                               EH
The first one was a decent apocalyptic bloodsucker flick.  This one picks up where that one ended.  I don’t know why you’d desire watching Stake Land II if you never saw nor heard of Stake Land.  If that’s the case, just watch the first one and neglect this one.  This is similar to a boring Walking Dead episode.  There’s lots of drama and the vampires are secondary elements adding occasional tension.  The ending hinted at a possible Stake Land III (Hell, what modern movie doesn’t suggest a follow-up?).  I hope it’s better than this if so.  2/17/2017

XX                                                                               OK/G
Four films directed by four women.  That’s how it was marketed.  I love me some anthology films so I viewed these without focusing on who made them.  I’m usually anti-feminist (not anti-woman) especially if they preach hypocritical rhetoric.  My buddy Jovanka Vuckovic (one of the directors and alumni of Rue Morgue and Revolver Magazines) once stated she wants to see more balance, not to remove white men altogether.  I stand behind that sentiment 100% as I’m all for equality as well.  In every regard though.  That means I want to see women (at least the ones bitching about equality and male chauvinism) do “real” hard work as well (construction, electrical work, sewage, etc.).  Don’t give me none of that shit that women shouldn’t be doing those jobs; if you have two functioning arms and two functioning legs and aren’t pregnant, you are very capable of doing anything men are expected to do.  It’s been proven women can be feminine in addition to doing traditionally masculine work.  I’ve witnessed it.  Those women are inspirational to me.  (North Country is a good example and a very good movie).  Anyway, this batch of vignettes is a mixed bag typical of the format.  Jovanka’s entry “The Box” was rather grim and I felt somewhat cheated by its open-endedness.  However, it was the best and most unforgettable.  “The Birthday Party” was pointless as I don’t see why the dead husband had to remain a secret regardless of the occasion.  “Don’t Fall” was a decent demonic possession creature feature that slightly reminded me of a Campfire Tales segment.  “Her Only Living Son” had a tinge of Rosemary’s Baby and was also open-ended, but I like my conclusion if that was the intention.  All of these were wrapped around by a bizarre, slightly ominous, ultra-surreal tale involving a walking dollhouse.  Good effort but not the best collection.  2/20/2017

---Sean O.

No comments:

Post a Comment