Sunday, May 7, 2017

Mooby Reviews 5/7/2017

Here's my newest film critiques...

Bay Cove                                                                     B

A movie from 1987 involving witches with Tim Matheson and Woody Harrelson?  I continually amaze myself at what I haven’t seen.  I also continually remind myself there’s probably a reason why.  “Bad movie” is a connotative term of course.  I’m a huge fan of movies like Killer Klowns from Outer Space, Maximum Overdrive and the Sleepaway Camp movies.  Many consider those “bad movies.”  While they may not be culturally praised movies (outside part of the horror community), they’re good to me.  Bad movies like this are so predictable where enjoyment exists not even in the so-bad-its-good sense.  A young couple move to an island where witches have performed sacrifices for 300 years and new members are needed for their coven.  This is all figured out well before the climax, so everything happens as expected with distractions, denials and unsurprising twists fleshing out the time.  Late ‘80’s?  Witches?  Satan?  Recognizable faces?  I should’ve loved this movie.  I only liked when the church blew up at the end.  That’s the only thing I liked in a 90-plus minute movie?  4/29/2017

Bigger Fatter Liar                                                       OK
I saw Big Fat Liar when it came out 15 years ago and I don’t remember hating it.  Here’s what I remember:  It starred Frankie Muniz and Amanda Bynes; Frankie’s school assignment was stolen by Paul Giamatti and made into a movie; Frankie and Amanda go confront Paul; Frankie over-caffeinated with Coke at one point.  This time, the kid’s assignment is stolen and turned into a videogame.  It probably closely resembles the first (perhaps I need to revisit Big Fat Liar?) but being a direct-to-video sequel 15 years later with a title like that, I had to.  Of course I expected no masterpiece, which it absolutely wasn’t, but I can’t say I hated it.  Undeniably, I had a smidgen of fun with it and modern technology was utilized quite creatively at the end, but it still suffers from direct-to-video sequel-itis (or general sequel-itis).  The director also wrote Prom Night II (worthy sequel better than the first) and directed Prom Night III (my favorite entry in that franchise) plus many episodes of Are You Afraid of the Dark? (including two of my favorites) and Goosebumps.  My man Ron Oliver certainly has directing credentials.  I’m not quite sure who this movie would appeal to since fans of the first are all grown.  Perhaps people like me that watch anything despite badmouthing sequels and remakes?  Whatever, I’ll probably never watch it again unless Biggest Fattest Liar is made.  One thing I can say is that this was better than Mr. Oliver’s Mostly Ghostly entry from last year, One Night in Doom House.  I have no life.  4/27/2017

Blood Glacier                                                              EH

A surprisingly plausible scientific explanation is presented for hybrid monstrosities resulting from the titular landmark in the Swiss Alps.  Attacks happen too swiftly though so there’re no decent shots of these creatures.  Perhaps that might’ve revealed how horrendous they actually were?  Perhaps, but most appeared to be practical.  Some probably belonged in an ultra-cheesy SyFy channel movie.  Besides, this movie is very boring.  4/29/2017

Bokeh                                                                          OK/G
The title refers to a photographic effect.  Research if you want a thorough definition.  This film is about a couple vacationing in Iceland when a flash of light in the night sky seemingly wipes out everyone but them.  Naturally, the two enjoy having the country to themselves at first.  They pick a bigger house to stay in, clear out the supermarket, and explore.  As much as some may dislike people theoretically (guilty!), we still need other people to provide our resources.  Eventually the food will run out and, before long, the two bicker about eating expiring foods first.  Cell phones and internet don’t work either (only pre-event material shows up), so there’s no way of returning home.  While I got restless at times, I was curious to where this bleak thriller was headed.  Apocalyptic movies are dead (pun intended) but style and characterization can make them worth watching.  They do run into one other person whose appearance doesn’t last long nor enhances the plot, so I didn’t see why the character was introduced at all.  Filler!  There’re speculations pertaining religious revelations, but don’t expect an explanation for the apocalypse because there isn’t one.  Perhaps that was intended to be in their shoes, realistically leading to the depressing yet inevitable ending.  4/27/2017  

Here Alone                                                                  EH
Recommended only if you’ve never seen a single post-apocalyptic movie with or without “infected” peeps.  The title’s slightly misleading considering the lady was alone for less than half the time.  If there ever were a post-apocalyptic society, one thing I wouldn’t mourn is new movies being made.  There’d be plenty pre-apocalyptic movies to choose from better than the same shit (like this) released year after year.  5/3/2017

The Red Turtle                                                                        OK/G
Studio Ghibli always presents stunning animation.  Their newest feature slightly resembles Hans Christian Andersen tales and is dialogue-free.  The Triplets of Belleville proved that works if actions speak louder.  This movie does drag even at 80 minutes (mainly during the second half), but the poignant ending makes you look back and moderately adore this simple fable.  5/3/2017

Soaked in Bleach                                                         OK
There’s been many theories and films surrounding Kurt Cobain’s death, so I doubt this documentary would dispense much else to aficionados.  Some information was new to me but I never much followed the case.  Sure, I’ve had speculations.  Many believe Courtney Love murdered him and made it look like a suicide.  While sketchy, I believe she could’ve had something to do with it.  Isn’t it ironic how Hole (Courtney’s band for those born yesterday) quickly gained popularity following Kurt’s death?  I don’t remember hearing much about them while her husband was still breathing.  Besides, Courtney comes off as vile so if she didn’t murder him or hire someone to do so, she certainly seems capable of driving someone to off themselves.  I do like Hole’s music even if I don’t care for her (no, I don’t know her personally but I do go by observations).  I’ll admit I wasn’t the biggest Nirvana fan during their heyday in the mid-‘90’s but I didn’t dislike them.  Mostly everyone I went to school with loved them.  I like them more now.  I have all their albums (I still own the cassette of Nevermind actually) and even bought a shirt for $5 at Walmart about a year ago.  Whether he decided to die or not, one thing is certain…Kurt’s legacy lives on to this day and most people don’t care for Courtney who is still with us.  5/6/2017

Surrender at Crow Lake                                             B

Here’s a worthless 10-minute short available through Streampix On Demand.  A man fishes on a tranquil lake.  A car blasting music drives up to the loading area.  A body wrapped in sheets is pulled out and dropped near the water.  The person is still alive.  The driver grabs a gun from the car.  Maybe it’s just me, but shouldn’t the driver peruse the surrounding area before attempting an execution in broad daylight?  The guy in the rowboat is in plain view from the loading area.  Plus, entering an area blasting music isn’t exactly being discreet.  Muffling sounds won’t do shit if there’s eye witnesses.  Also, assuming the shooter is that absent-minded, why would the fisherman try bringing attention to himself?   His only defense would be to quickly row away, but I would assume bullets could outrun the fastest rower.  Anyway, it works out for most involved but the conclusion is outdated even for a short.  Just add an extra ten minutes to your nap instead.  4/29/2017

The Undying Monster                                                 OK/G
A werewolf film from 1942 that’s actually quite good…until the creature is shown.  Modern movies suffer the same fate (Signs comes to mind as well as most sci-fi creature features released after the millennium).  I could probably be more forgiving here considering the era and we do only see the monster briefly at the end.  A hairy face is the only make-up effect but it looks like a poorly-rendered hologram.  Everything else is fine.  It’s well-shot in black & white, the story is engaging, the sets are very gothic, and some scenes were probably creepy for the time.  Modern audiences would more likely be stylistically impressed.  I highly doubt anyone born well past the release would be frightened.  The soundtrack, like many horror flicks of the time, were more orchestral and lacked the ominous tone prevalent in modern horror movies.  It is only an hour so, sure, I’ll recommend it for those that don’t mind delving into the past.  5/6/2017

The Wolf of Waubamik Woods                                    EH

Short film from the Great White North containing an indigenous woman being picked up by a shady white guy.  Ironically, his last name is White.  It would be funny if her last name was Red.  It all leads to a predictable ending.  Moral of the story:  Don’t accept rides from people.  Drivers are warned about picking up hitchhikers, so the same should apply vice versa.  Well, it is only 14 minutes and I’m sure you’ve all wasted more time browsing the candy aisle in Wawa (or your geographical convenience store).  Available through Streampix On Demand.  4/27/2017

---Sean O.

No comments:

Post a Comment