Monday, October 16, 2017

Mooby Reviews 10/16/17

My newest (longer than usual) collection of cinematic critiques...

Bedeviled                                                                     EH

An app contains a demon named Mr. Bedeviled (that’s lame, why didn’t they just title the movie Mr. Bedeviled?) that knows the fears of several teenagers.  It’s obvious this was influenced by Stephen King’s It and updated for the modern digital age.  Mr. Bedeviled is Pennywise.  He appears right before their real fears manifest.  There’s even one with a fear of clowns and a red balloon appears.  No points for subtlety!  Once we know each character’s fear, there’s really no suspense since we’re just waiting for them to succumb to it.  Mr. Bedeviled looked pretty gnarly from a distance or in shadow, but not so much up-close.  This is best deleted from cinematic archives like any unnecessary or unwanted app.  10/14/2017

Better Watch Out                                                         G

Better not cry, better not pout, I’m telling you why…here’s a new holiday film actually worth watching.  It’s not quite A Christmas Story.  It’s not quite Home Alone either despite referencing it.  This isn’t exactly family-friendly.  It’s marketed as a horror movie but I think it’s simply just a dark holiday film involving unrequited love and a prank gone too far.  There’s violence too.  My kind of film!  As much as I adore family-friendly holiday films, I can’t get enough of holiday horror or cheerless yuletide films in general.  Christmas usually evokes festivities, warmth and mostly good cheer.  Merging blood and dark subject matter with that is a perfect combination for those that enjoy some ‘bah humbug’ with their ‘to all a good night.’  If you haven’t seen a preview for the film, don’t.  It’s a bit of false advertising.  Also, and I might have to do some research on this, I’m pretty sure the paint cans were empty in Home Alone10/12/2017

Captain Underpants:  The First Epic Movie               G
I never read any of the books and there’s several from what I’ve researched.  Since this is titled The First Epic Movie, I’m assuming more are in store.  Bring ‘em on!  I wouldn’t mind seeing more adventures with these two prepubescent companions.  This movie was funny.  It was also cute, oddly creative and the best bromance I’ve seen in recent memory.  The potty humor should please the little ones, and any adult willing to let their inner child surface should have fun too.  The potty humor isn’t excessive either; it’s almost sophisticated if that makes any sense.  The overall message appeared to be that laughter is the cure for anything.  10/16/2017

Certain Women                                                           OK/G

Three separate stories involving women (played by Laura Dern, Michelle Williams and Kristen Stewart) living their menial lives in Montana.  I was reminded of Personal Velocity which is another film involving three separate female-centric segments.  Unlike that film which had no intersecting tales, this film’s three parts are connected albeit minimally.  It is a feminist film for sure considering it shows only women struggling, is directed by a woman, and is based on short stories by a female author.  The first two stories with Laura Dern and Michelle Williams are only so-so making me wonder what made them so important, and why I should care, other than portraying a general American slice-of-life.  The final one involving Kristen Stewart (the focus wasn’t primarily on her either) was the best and makes me want to recommend the film based on that part alone.  She’s a secondary character to the American Indian farm girl that develops a crush on her.  It’s depressing but also the most realistic depiction of unrequited love I’ve seen in quite a while.  I’m sick of seeing gay characters in films ending up with the one they happen to be attracted to.  It gives us real gay people false hope; the dating scene is very limited for us.  I believe the overall message was to show that no matter how hard these women’s lives are, and no matter how unhappy they may be, they get by regardless.  Something most people should be able to relate to.  10/8/2017

Circus Kane                                                                OK
This got my attention because there was an evil clown on the cover.  I really hate when the movie doesn’t feature that evil clown for a decent amount of time or at all.  This one did and the evil clown doesn’t necessarily disappoint.  The film has three parts in my opinion.  Well, most stories should structurally have three parts:  a beginning, middle and end.  I critically split it into three parts.  The beginning has the boring yet narratively necessary introductions.  I enjoyed the middle part where our group of people we met in the beginning enter a “house of horrors.”  This is where we get to see some clown violence and ample gore in general.  How can someone run straight into barb wire instead of under it like they did initially, knowing full well it’s going to cut right through them?  The third part got too commercial for me and tonally shifted immensely, capping off with a twist more eye-rolling than surprising.  I’m giving it a reluctant OK rating strictly for the decent middle portion.  I would’ve rather seen the characters go through a bigger haunted house with the clown picking them off one-by-one using sharp weapons or deadly booby traps, however cliché that may sound.  10/11/2017

Coffin                                                                          OK
I saw that Coffin 2 just came out and somehow Coffin bypassed my radar six years ago.  I don’t know about anyone else, but I can’t see a sequel before seeing the predecessor regardless of relativity.  An adulterous woman and her lover are trapped in a coffin and her husband is given 75 minutes to be told their location after doing some tasks.  Is this another Saw copycat?  Not quite.  There’s a twist that negates the entire film which would’ve been old even in 2011; 20 years ago it might’ve been clever.  This film floats solely on the good performances; that’s why I bothered watching the sequel right away.  Well, aside from my OCD of course.  10/14/2017

Coffin 2                                                                       OK
This doesn’t quite have the same set-up as the first, but what would’ve been the point of that?  Again, the performances are what made this film somewhat watchable.  If I didn’t know any better, I would’ve thought Stephen King had a hand in the writing since he’s well-known for excellent characterizations and the horror elements being secondary.  Towards the end, the twists kept piling on top of each other where I said ‘okay, enough’ more than once.  In these post-Wild Things times, some twists just aren’t so fresh anymore.  If Coffin 3 is ever made, I’m going to take everything with a grain of salt from the start.  Wild Things wasn’t so novel the second time and this series was DOA the first time.  10/14/2017

Cult of Chucky                                                                        G
Chucky.  Charles Lee Ray.  That redheaded killer doll has been a large part of my life.  I became fascinated ever since watching the first two sequels in elementary school.  I was so amazed at how a doll was killing people.  These films inspired me at the time to make movies sans cameras and want to write darker stories.  I like all the movies in the series with Seed of Chucky being my least favorite even though I still watch it whenever having a Chucky marathon.  This film introduced a whole new concept opening up another direction for this franchise to go.  While not particularly fond of hospital-set films, even mental hospital-set ones (I’m pretty sure there was a slight homage to One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest involving one detail), this movie surprisingly had my attention.  Gone is not Chucky’s wit; he can still make me chuckle during serious situations.  There’s a decent amount of the red stuff too and I watched the rated version.  I didn’t want it to end when it did and it was left open for yet another sequel.  Bring on number 8 and so forth!  Chucky will be my friend to the end.  10/3/2017

David Lynch:  The Art Life                                         OK
I am a fan of David Lynch.  I may not fully comprehend the intended meaning behind some of his films, but that’s what makes him so appealing, the fact I can take what I want and still enjoy them.  I remember he once said of all the analytical essays and reviews on Blue Velvet, not a single theory was correct yet people still think of it as a masterpiece (me included).  Much like abstract works of art, his surreal films are open to the viewer’s interpretation.  Speaking of art, this is titled The Art Life after all, this documentary details Lynch’s formative pre-filmmaking years when he focused on painting.  Like the earliest filmmakers with photographs, he one day wondered how his paintings would be if they moved and had sound.  If you’re not a fan, I doubt you would be interested in seeing Lynch as a painter struggling to get by.  I, being a fan of his movies, was only marginally interested.  Don’t get me wrong, it was intriguing to know a little more about this enigmatic director, but I would’ve rather seen a documentary on his film career spanning from Eraserhead all the way to the present with some possible explanations from the man himself.  Perhaps he wants to take all his secrets to the grave?  10/14/2017

A Ghost Story                                                              G
This is literally a ghost story.  It’s not a horror movie.  It’s actually quite depressing.  Not depressing in the sense you’ll need tissues to wipe your eyes, depressing in the sense being a ghost seems very solitary.  The ghost (played by Casey Affleck) is simply presented in archetypal trick-or-treat garb as a white sheet with two cut-holes for the eyes.  If no one can see him, why does he need to wear the sheet anyway?  After he becomes the ghost, it appears he has the choice to pass on to the next realm but instead chooses to return to his home.  He obviously has the ability to travel from one place to another so why didn’t he follow his wife when she left?  Why did he decide to stay when other people moved in?  We’re given a possible reason why at the end but I find it hard to believe that was the sole excuse.  He also has the ability to move physical objects and, inexplicably, time travel.  The film is largely dialogue-free with one lengthy monologue adding to the harsh reality of our fleeting time on this planet.  This solemn film will likely divide most viewers.  It is a bit arty.  I wonder if David Lowery (the director) was influenced by Gus Van Sant.  I understand the wife was grieving and he wanted to effectively convey that, but I don’t think it was necessary to show us a real-time single-shot of her scarfing down an entire pie.  I wonder if it was done in one take; otherwise Rooney Mara ate a lot of pie!  In general, I can’t deny how hypnotically poetic it was.  It’s a strangely appealing live-action picture book.  10/4/2017

Lowriders                                                                    EH
There’s something fascinating about gang-affiliated material in TV shows and movies since I’m watching from the safety of my own home.  This movie isn’t about gangs though.  How ignorant of me to assume a movie featuring Mexicans in East L.A. involved gangs.  Well, the title alone is stereotypical, in and of itself, pertaining to a part of Chicano culture even though that’s essentially what the movie entails.  Plus, they eat tacos too.  This is pretty much an identity crisis tale as one kid would rather do art (meaning graffiti all over town) instead of “lowride” per his father’s wishes.  In the end, it’s really just a sappy family drama.  Booooooring!  10/3/2017

The Mummy                                                                OK
This Tom Cruise-starring update wasn’t as deplorable as I anticipated.  The mummified zombies didn’t look too bad and some action sequences were impressive.  There’s a worthy homage to An American Werewolf in London too.  It still lacks the fun of Stephen Sommers’ 1999 version.  I don’t think the two are even related; there’s a different mythology and plot attached to this one.  Anyway, I felt the story was just getting started when it ended and we’ll hopefully be presented with a grander sequel.  Doubtful.  10/12/2017

Open Water 3:  Cage Dive                                          OK
I think the first mistake was making it appear as a second sequel to Open Water.  It was originally marketed solely as Cage Dive.  Perhaps they wanted more exposure by presenting it as part of a franchise?  Or perhaps they didn’t want expectations being too high for fear of being viewed as another subpar shark attack film?  It’s a found footage film too.  Boo!  Perhaps that’s another reason for the added title?  It does bear similarities to Open Water and pretty much every other lost-at-sea film with or without sharks.  Instead of being mistakenly left behind though, this time our protagonists were in a cage while their boat was capsized by a massive wave.  I don’t know why it was originally titled Cage Dive anyway since they were only in the cage briefly.  The film was okay for what it’s worth.  There’s not too many original ways to make an effective shark attack movie anymore (I really hope a filmmaker out there is saying, “Hold my beer.”).  It was better than Open Water 2 which was also unrelated to the first with very minimal shark appearances and more to do with people stranded at sea.  I shouldn’t even compare to the first two in the series since I didn’t expect this to be part of it.  It’s less than 80 minutes too, so you won’t waste too much time if you insist on watching, but I think you’d enjoy other recent shark flicks (47 Meters Down, The Shallows) or even just the classics (Jaws) more.  10/11/2017

The Poughkeepsie Tapes                                             OK
This was released in 2007 but unavailable to rent until now.  Wonder what the hold-up was?  It’s no more harrowing than anything else released before or after.  It’s presented documentary-style with interviews and clips of the titular videos presenting murders by a man from Poughkeepsie, New York.  This is nothing more than a mockumentary slasher film that gets fairly repetitive watching grainy shots of just some of the killings.  It might’ve been more effective if we got to know this dude on a personal level.  That’s what made Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer so disturbing and simultaneously powerful.  Even in 2007, the faux-documentary and ‘based on a true story’ started becoming trite, so I don’t know why they felt releasing it to a wider audience ten years later would make much of a difference.  10/12/2017

2:22                                                                             EH
Rather stale film involving patterns and how some of us are seemingly “connected.”  You should figure it all out before the characters do.  The only positive thing I can say is that they did a swell job of making Australia look like New York City.  10/16/2017

Wakefield                                                                     EH/OK
The first thing I’m going to do when someone goes missing is check the attic or any other part of the house or surrounding area no one thinks to look.  It always baffles me when someone is able to dwell in a house unnoticed for lengths of time in movies.  If I ever get a house I’m going to make sure I can access every part of it, periodically check for intruders, and investigate every time I hear a strange noise instead of brushing it off as animals scurrying between the walls.  Of course I’ll be cautious about it since I don’t want to be that idiot investigating strange noises like in the movies.  Anyway, this film involves a suburban dad played by Bryan Cranston spying on his family from the top of their parking garage.  Initially it starts off as a prank before he eventually becomes a recluse.  At first, he enters his house while his wife and twin daughters are out, eats the food and showers until deciding to live homeless by scouring dumpsters for food.  Apparently living in the suburbs allows for ample pickings.  Real homeless people would be very angry if they watched this film.  This guy had a house in a decent area, a job and a family.  It must be tough being a straight, middle class guy.  I guess no one is ever truly happy.  If all he wanted was time apart from his boring life without his wife being suspicious, I’m sure they could’ve worked something out if they communicated like couples are supposed to do.  I guess it’s always easier said than done until you’re in the situation.  I find it hard to believe no one ever saw him on his excursions, other than two mentally challenged neighbors (cop-out in my opinion), and no one, including authorities, ever thought to check every part of the house in this day and age.  Of course he thought this all out in case such a thing were to happen, but I still can’t believe he pulled it off for that long.  I’m assuming with the changing of seasons, it wasn’t even a year.  Mr. Cranston is good and almost makes it work, but similar to what he stated at one point about pondering how long he can pull off his stunt before it gets old, I felt the same way about the film in general.  10/8/2017

---Sean O.

No comments:

Post a Comment