Thursday, August 22, 2019

47 Meters Down: Uncaged


-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------


47 Meters Down:  Uncaged                                        G/VG
This sequel really could’ve been its own movie titled Uncaged.  It bears a few similarities to the first that you’ll notice solely on the fact that it is a sequel, but there are no direct references.  The biggest (and arguably only) connection is the same director.  Now, did I like it?  Yeah, I did actually (hopefully my rating, which is the same split one I gave the first, indicated that).  Summertime has basically become synonymous with shark movies and it’s now safe to say they’re good again after last year’s disappointment that was The Meg.  I’ve watched The Shallows every summer since it was released in 2016 and this film’s preceding entry was enjoyable the following summer (you can read my reviews for all three of those films in the archives---www.abcreviewarchive.blogspot.com).  Much like the first film, the underwater shots were equally as compelling as the shark scenes (they need to be since you can’t effectively have a shark attack every second; hell, Jaws didn’t) with that sense of dread knowing a shark could appear at any time since you’re watching a shark movie; it’s just a matter of when, where and how (and sharks aren’t the only danger the characters face).  I don’t want to give anything away either (I’m not sure if it was written about or in a preview), but it’s the first shark movie I’ve seen where a shark had a particular defect (and the first film was the first time I saw a particular twist in one).  Granted, the film isn’t great (like Jaws or The Shallows) and is sometimes predictable (I’m actually surprised I didn’t see a “Deep Blue Sea” moment coming), but I had enough fun and enjoyed it the same way I did the first (hence the same rating, although different films) to recommend it.  I’ll definitely be curious if the director (Johannes Roberts) releases a third one but simultaneously apprehensive because you never know when follow-ups will stop being worthy.  8/17/2019



Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Cohen and Tate  >>>OK

A Dog’s Journey  >>>G

El Chicano  >>>OK

How High 2  >>>EH

Wonder Park  >>>G

Zombie Tidal Wave  >>>OK
            (SyFy)

---Sean O.
8/22/2019

No comments:

Post a Comment