Thursday, August 29, 2019

Brightburn/The Banana Splits Movie


-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------


Brightburn                                                                   G/VG
This was marketed as a superhero film for horror fans and I’d say that’s a fairly accurate description.  The “superhero” (anti-superhero more like it), Brandon Breyer (Brightburn is the name of the town the movie takes place in), does have a superhero origin story and he may look and act like a superhero (supervillain more like it), but this is definitely more of a horror movie (the creators even confirmed that was the intention); kind of like The Omen with superhero touches.  Not only is this film effectively well-shot and violent as hell when called for (it might contain the most brutal eye damage I’ve seen in cinema aside from Lucio Fulci’s Zombie, but that’s likely up for debate), but Brandon Breyer is an evil character through and through (likely innately so) and there is no happy ending.  I liked that.  8/25/2019



The Banana Splits Movie                                            G
I have never once seen an episode of The Banana Splits, a children’s show in which this film is based, featuring humans in animal costumes (animatronic here) that ran from the late Sixties to the early Seventies (that might also be why since I wasn’t even born yet, but that makes nary a difference).  It may have been an interesting concept making a horror movie featuring the same characters, but that depends on who you’re asking.  I wonder how many of those that actually liked it as a children’s show will like the horror approach.  If you know me well enough, of course I liked the idea (probably even if I actually did watch the show).  It didn’t make me want to watch the actual show now that I’ve seen it as a horror movie, but it was fun although a tad formulaic; gory too; “fake” gory for the most part, but gory (R-rated for violence alone if I’m not mistaken); all practical too!  Now I think I’m ready for an R-rated Zoobilee Zoo horror movie and that’s a children’s show I actually did watch!  8/29/2019



Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Isabelle  >>>B

Play or Die  >>>B/EH

The Secret Life of Pets 2  >>>G

Zombillenium  >>>EH

---Sean O.
8/29/2019

No comments:

Post a Comment