Sunday, March 15, 2020

Bloodride: Season One


-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Bloodride:  Season One                                              OK
New horror anthology series available on Netflix?  I hate repeating myself but, in case you don’t keep up with my reviews or know me that well, I was in given my love for anthology shows/movies (particularly horror).  This 6-episode series comes from Norway so, yes, that means subtitles for those not fluent in Norwegian, but if you don’t like reading subtitles nor mind poor dubbing, you can set it up where the audio is your preferred language (I personally can’t stand dubbing, especially when its poorly done, and find it distracting; I always use the same example, but High Tension was much better the second time with subtitles).  “Ultimate Sacrifice” shows what some would do for fortune and it does come easy for these people living in the countryside as long as they’re willing to do something drastic; PETA wouldn’t be too happy with this segment.  “Three Sick Brothers” starts off promising before finishing with one of the oldest twists in the book (or film, in this case) that wasn’t too surprising anyhow.  “Bad Writer” felt largely derivative, feeling more fitting for a kiddie horror anthology series like Are You Afraid of the Dark? or Creeped Out (which there’s absolutely nothing wrong with), but it was still okay.  “Lab Rats” involves a group of workers accused of stealing something valuable from their boss and was fairly straightforward (read: standard).  My favorite of the bunch was “The Old School” which begins as a typical yet intriguing ghost story that takes an unexpected (yet not altogether shocking) turn at the end.  Lastly, there’s “The Elephant in the Room” about an office costume party wherein more and more revelations come to light in regards to a tragedy involving a previous employee.  All in all, the episodes were generally just okay (I didn’t necessarily detest any of them).  They seemed to be more of the psychological thriller variety (which isn’t a criticism), although I was reminded most of an underrated Eighties anthology film, Chillers (which I recommend), during the intro showing all the characters in each story riding a bus (the “bloodride”).  You can binge the entire series in roughly 3 hours (the longest episode being 32 minutes, the shortest, 27), so if you’re bored and looking for something new to watch, there’re worse ways you can spend 3 hours, like wasting an additional half hour watching that overrated snoozefest, The Irishman (which luckily, and rightfully, didn’t win best picture)!  3/14/2020



Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Autumn Blood  >>>EH

Cutting Class  >>>EH/OK

Dr. Terror’s House of Horrors  >>>OK

Dogman  >>>EH

Midnighters  >>>OK

Pledge  >>>OK/G

---Sean O.
3/15/2020

No comments:

Post a Comment