Thursday, March 26, 2020

The Hunt


-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------


The Hunt                                                                     G
This film’s initial release date was pushed back because I guess some people were offended by it whether they saw it or not.  It does pretty much knock both sides of modern America’s divisive political spectrum.  I personally don’t consider myself falling on either side of that spectrum, although I’d probably agree more with the liberals than conservatives for obvious reasons (if you know me well enough), but both groups have irritated me (I hate politics in general even though I shouldn’t, blah, blah, blah, spare me any lectures).  For those that haven’t heard anything about this film, a group of apparent conservatives wake up gagged in a field and are provided weapons before those that don’t agree with their ideals begin offing them.  The concept is very derivative---Battle Royale, The Hunger Games, The Condemned, and a recent title called The Furies are just some of the titles that came to mind---but it was fun, not great; its comic bits never felt out of place (especially for a theoretically ludicrous premise) and it doesn’t shy away from delivering the gory goods.  3/22/2020


Bonus review:


ZZ Top: That Little Ol’ Band from Texas                   OK/G
New documentary available on Netflix featuring “that little ol’ band from Texas” consisting of three members, two of which renowned for their lengthy beards (before those Duck Dynasty people); ironically, the only member without a beard (the drummer) has Beard as a surname!  ZZ Top was never a band I truly got into, the first time hearing of them was seeing their name on the Dazed and Confused soundtrack in the Nineties, but I do like some of their songs.  Oftentimes with bands/artists, even if I like them just a little or sometimes not at all, biopics and/or documentaries are always nice in giving them a human quality (also why I’m a big fan of reading interviews in magazines or on websites).  I remember when I first heard a ZZ Top song (don’t ask me which one), I thought they had kind of a country sound while they’re really just “blues-influenced” via rock ‘n roll.  This documentary details the band’s beginnings before they all met up to the release of their likely most famous record, Eliminator, which contains hits like “Sharp Dressed Man,” “Legs,” “Gimme All Your Lovin’,” and “Got Me Under Pressure.”  While it states the band is still making music today and are still together (obviously since they’re all alive and giving interviews here), I kind of wish they would’ve included a bit more after Eliminator to the present day (unless a second part is planned).  I did learn some things, such as how the band name came about (something I always wondered) and what lead to their iconic facial hair coming to be, as well as a certain musical genre having an influence on their later work.  Decent albeit incomplete documentary on that little ol’ band from Texas.  3/25/2020

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Birds of Passage  >>>OK/G

Bumblebee  >>>OK/G

Jojo Rabbit  >>>OK

Knives Out  >>>EH

---Sean O.
3/26/2020

No comments:

Post a Comment