Tuesday, March 10, 2020

The House That Jack Built


-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------


The House That Jack Built                                          VG
Most recent film from Danish filmmaker, Lars von Trier (Dogville, Antichrist, Melancholia), in which Matt Dillon plays a serial killer (Jack) and we’re shown five “incidents” of his killings.  It may sound like a simple premise and I initially thought it wouldn’t be able to sustain watchability given it’s 2 ½ hours, but I actually enjoyed it and wasn’t bored once.  Of course “enjoy” may be a highly subjective as well as contentious term to describe such a picture most sane people wouldn’t label “enjoyable,” but I guess it comes down to that already argued notion that films are different than reality and us fans (the majority of us) are sensible enough to know the difference (Alfred Hitchcock once said something along the lines of cinema being voyeuristic and we, the viewers, are the voyeurs).  So, I guess it was enjoyable in the same way other films like Henry:  Portrait of a Serial Killer, I Spit on Your Grave (both versions), The Last House on the Left (both versions), Cannibal Holocaust, Cannibal Ferox (a.k.a. Make Them Die Slowly), The Devil’s Rejects, and others I felt were “enjoyable.”  I can see this film being compared to American Psycho and the aforementioned Henry:  Portrait of a Serial Killer, although it’s not as sardonic as the former and not as harrowing as the latter.  This guy Jack is truly a psychopath, not holding back from offing men, women, or children; there’s even one flashback scene in which he does something to a small animal as a child that undeniably made me wince a little.  After the five incidents, the film takes another somewhat dark turn, dark in the sense it made this critic smile with glee.  I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this 151-minute film.  3/8/2020


Bonus reviews:


Into the Dark:  Crawlers                                             G
Into the Dark is a Hulu anthology series wherein one episode is released monthly and they all take place during a holiday coinciding with that month’s release.  Even “holidays” like International Women’s Day (“Treehouse”) and Father-Daughter Day (“Pure”) are represented.  It’s more of a franchise than a series since all the episodes are feature-length.  I’ll admit I was a bit disappointed with the series as a whole, my primary criticism being their lengths as I didn’t feel many needed to be feature-length, and also that many just happened to take place around a holiday and could’ve taken place any time of the year.  That being said, I do think this series would’ve been better had the episodes been 30-45-minutes.  This is the first “episode” I’m reviewing and the last one I’ll be seeing for a while since I’m all caught up and my free trial of Hulu ends soon.  This one also takes place around St. Patrick’s Day (a.k.a. Eradicate the Pagans Day), so I figured ‘tis the season (blah, blah, blah), and was one of the few I actually enjoyed.  The only other “episodes” I gave G ratings for were “I’m Just F*cking with You (April Fools’ Day, season one),” “Culture Shock (Independence Day, season one),” and “Pilgrim (Thanksgiving, season two),” but even those I didn’t think were that great.  This one, involving aliens/doppelgangers and set-up like a zombie movie at times, may have been a bit corny, derivative, lacking overall and somewhat too short (a rarity with this series, as I implied above), but I had generally had fun with it and didn’t feel like there was too much filler like the majority of the series so far (hence why I probably felt it was lacking and too short).  3/9/2020



What We Do in the Shadows:  Season One                 OK
I had no initial interest in checking out this spinoff series that originally aired on FX and is also available on Hulu (which I currently have a free month of), but gave in when I saw it was only 10 episodes all under a half hour.  I re-watched the movie in the midst of it, which apparently I gave a good rating for when I first saw it in 2015, and I did enjoy it the second time.  Horror-comedies have to be done right (of course that’s always subjective) and I’ve usually never been the biggest fan of ones that lean more towards the comedy.  In all fairness though, I don’t think the movie or this series was meant to be strictly horror, more comedy-dramas by way of mockumentary, simply containing traditional horror characters (vampires as the main characters and there’s also werewolves and zombies, at least in the movie for the latter).  While the movie does have its tongue-in-cheek moments, I think it simultaneously had more of a serious tone than this series that definitely felt more comedic.  While the characters in both the film and series are aware of being filmed by a crew, more attention was definitely brought to that aspect in the series.  Although I mentioned this was a spinoff series, that may not exactly be the best word since the characters here are different and the location moved from New Zealand to Staten Island, New York.  Whatever, you don’t really need to see the movie before watching this series based on the differences I mentioned, specifically the tonal changes.  This series was decent, a bit of fun generally, occasionally bloody (like the film), and none of the short episodes really felt like they overstayed their welcome, but I, personally, liked the movie better.  Season 2 premieres next month (maybe I’ll watch, eventually).  3/7/2020



Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Into the Dark:  Midnight Kiss  >>>EH/OK
            (Hulu)

Into the Dark:  My Valentine  >>>EH/OK
            (Hulu)

Into the Dark:  A Nasty Piece of Work  >>>EH/OK
            (Hulu)

Into the Dark:  Pilgrim  >>>G
            (Hulu)

Into the Dark:  Uncanny Annie  >>>EH
            (Hulu)

Rabid (2020)  >>>OK

Snatchers  >>>OK

Trespassers  >>>EH/OK


---Sean O.
3/10/2020

No comments:

Post a Comment