Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Onward


-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------


Onward                                                                       OK/G
The newest Pixar film featuring a world full of mythological beings living like humans in modern times (magic gradually disappeared with the invention of light bulbs, gas stoves, and other conveniences).  We follow two elf brothers after the youngest receives a gift on his 16th birthday left by their late father; said gift allows them to spend 24 hours with said father, but something goes wrong and off the boys go to retrieve an item needed to fix said wrong.  Now, with the exception of Inside Out, Pixar hasn’t really made a notable film since Toy Story 3, and before that, I wasn’t the biggest fan of Up, I thought Wall-E was overrated, and I disliked Cars (that being the first studio flop in my opinion).  Don’t get me wrong, I did like Brave, Monsters University, The Good Dinosaur, Finding Dory, Coco, and Incredibles 2, but I don’t feel they deserve classic status and of course that’s always subjective.  As for the rest, I hated Cars 2 (more than Cars), didn’t bother with Cars 3 because of my opinion on the first two, and Toy Story 4 should’ve never happened (Klaus deserved that best animated feature at the previous Oscars!).  Anyway, I felt the animation for this feature resembled that of a DreamWorks picture, and I hate to say it, but I think kids will enjoy it more than adults, but, again, that’s subjective.  [Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against DreamWorks; I’ve just generally felt they were the less impressive studio in both visuals and content].  There is absolutely nothing wrong with this film and there was a good deal I enjoyed about it, but there’s just nothing particularly great about it either.  It often felt too familiar and wasn’t as adventurous as other animated films of yesteryear (namely from Disney and Pixar).  You be the judge though, because, again, my opinion is subjective.  4/6/2020



Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Beaster Day: Here Comes Peter Cottonhell  >>>VB

Black Eve  >>>EH

Lost Creek  >>>EH/OK

Murder Loves Killers Too  >>>OK


---Sean O.
4/7/2020

No comments:

Post a Comment