Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Servant: Season One


-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------


Servant:  Season One                                                  G
I binged this 10-episode (all between 29 and 36 minutes) Apple TV series after reading it was streaming for free (hint:  if you don’t have an Apple ID, it’s free to create one), and I was only interested because M. Night Shyamalan’s name was attached (yes, I am a fan, considering the amount of his films I liked surpasses those I disliked, not counting the two he made before The Sixth Sense).  He’s just one of the many executive producers and only directed 2 episodes though.  In it, a young girl from Wisconsin comes to live with a couple in a multi-level home in Philadelphia to care for their newborn son while the mom is at work (as a news reporter) and the dad works at home (as a chef).  The kicker?  This newborn son is actually a doll (comparisons to The Boy may initially come up) since they lost the real baby and this is how the mom copes.  This servant girl plays right along though.  Something is clearly not right from the get-go.  Eventually a real baby appears in place of the doll, the dad occasionally has splinters appear on parts of his body, and a handmade cross (not wooden) appears in the girl’s room.  Is she a witch?  An investigation leading to her house in Wisconsin and the nearby cemetery suggest there’s something very sinister about this servant.  A random appearance by a strange relative of the girl further suggests something is clearly not right.  There is a whole lot of atmosphere to this series and they made great use of the multi-level home in which the majority of the story takes place.  The episodes generally go by pretty quickly too, and I actually wanted to continue as opposed to just finishing it, and for that, I’m recommending it.  I did expect a grander conclusion, but it wasn’t necessarily disappointing and I was able to take something from it, but I also felt there was more to the story left out.  Allegedly a second season is happening and M. Night supposedly envisions this lasting for 6 seasons, but that might be thinking too far ahead, so let’s just take it one season at a time…4/12/2020



Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Playmobil: The Movie  >>>EH/OK

21 Bridges  >>>EH


---Sean O.
4/14/2020

No comments:

Post a Comment