Saturday, April 11, 2020

VFW


-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------


VFW                                                                            OK/G
VFW is an acronym for Veterans of Foreign Wars.  This film not only contains characters belonging to said group, but they are all played by veteran genre actors (particularly horror and action) recognizable by face more than name.  These characters hang out at a VFW bar.  There’s a punk hangout right next to this bar.  There’s a new drug popular amongst these punks.  All hell breaks loose when a girl steals said drugs from said punks and ends up in said bar.  The veterans can’t just give up the girl and the drugs because then the punks will kill them all.  The cops won’t come since the punks basically took over the streets and “gunshots basically sound like crickets in the neighborhood” as one character states.  Therefore, the veterans and punks have to fight each other with any weapons they can muster (including guns, knives, axes, sharpened wood, pretty much anything sharp).  Being that it’s a simple movie with sharp objects causing violence, said violence being practical, and that Fangoria’s name is attached (one of my favorite magazines), you’d think I would’ve loved this movie.  I kind of did like it, but not as much as I had anticipated.  There is violence, no doubt about that, and some of it is over-the-top, but much of it happens too quickly or the scenes are too dark to absorb it all.  I wonder if it’s one of those that gets better with time/viewings, but I usually like to be satisfied enough the first time.  It seems like this was probably more fun to make.  I don’t know…4/9/2020



Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Lost Girls  >>>OK
     (Netflix)

The Night Clerk  >>>B

The Occupant (Hogar)  >>>EH
            (Netfllix)


---Sean O.
4/11/2020

No comments:

Post a Comment