Friday, November 27, 2020

The Witches

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

The Witches                                                                 EH/OK
I recently re-read the book of the same name by Roald Dahl (one of my favorite authors) and re-watched the original 1990 movie upon seeing this remake’s release (currently available on HBO Max) which actually has the author’s name atop the title.  This time, Robert Zemeckis, helmer of films such as Who Framed Roger Rabbit, all 3 Back to the Futures, Death Becomes Her, Forrest Gump, and What Lies Beneath, directed, produced, and co-wrote it with Guillermo del Toro (he also co-produced this), famous for giving us Hellboy, The Devil’s Backbone, Pan’s Labyrinth, and Crimson Peak.  The original film, directed by Nicolas Roeg and starring Anjelica Huston as the Grand High Witch (here, Anne Hathaway has the role), was largely faithful to the Roald Dahl story with just a few things altered.  This film is largely like the original film with some things altered here and there, the location moving from Europe (Norway and England) to the States (Alabama) and the main characters race changed (which is good for representation) being prominent ones.  The modern special effects here (meaning obvious CGI) don’t hold a candle to the practical ones used in the 1990 film, as is often the case.  I didn’t exactly hate this film, but it is an unnecessary remake, yes, and I expected better from the talent involved.  11/22/2020

Bonus reviews:

Train to Busan Presents: Peninsula                            OK
The zombie subgenre was dead (pun intended) long before The Walking Dead premiered ten years ago.  Naturally, there are passable entries every so often and Train to Busan, released 4 years ago, was actually one of them (you can read my brief review for it in the archives---www.abcreviewarchive.blogspot.com).  You don’t even need to see the first film to watch this in-name only sequel (with the same director); just know a virus spread in Korea that turned people into zombies, which is explained in the beginning of this film anyway.  Yes, it’s in Korean like the first film, so that does mean subtitles (even during the few parts spoken in English).  It takes place four years after the events of the first film (just like the releases) and involves refugees living in Hong Kong tasked with going back to Korea in order to obtain a truck containing cash with promises of them all getting a cut when returned.  This seemed to take a George A. Romero approach, Dawn and Land of the Dead came to mind the most, as well as that of a Mad Max-type film, meaning it wasn’t too original (I know, what really is these days?).  It may be an unnecessary sequel, but it wasn’t a terrible movie on its own, just okay; but like the late Roger Ebert once said, “Life is too short to see movies that are just okay.”  Also, being that it’s almost 2 hours, I became a bit impatient towards the end.  Fans of Train to Busan are obviously going to be curious, but those that haven’t seen either film, I unquestionably recommend the first one over this one.  11/24/2020

Home Alone:  The Holiday Heist                                OK/G
Home Alone 5.  I knew not of a fifth entry until someone received the box set at a Christmas party a couple years ago.  It came out at the end of 2012 and how did I not hear about it?  There was no sixth film released yet (I did make sure), but there is one that will eventually be released on Disney+.  They have starred different characters/performers each time since part 3, which was still a decent entry, and I don’t remember much about part 4, so it couldn’t have been that worthy (although a re-watch may be in the near future as my box set contains 1-4).  This entry wasn’t as good as Home Alone 1 and 2, nor did I expect it to be (as I did parts 3 and 4), but it was actually better than I thought it would be.  There were a few times I laughed out loud, there were some mildly passable homages to the first film, and there were some slightly clever ways of associating the robbers (one played by Malcolm McDowell) with ghosts.  Decent enough to get in the holiday spirit.  11/25/2020

Other movies and TV show(s) I’ve seen and their ratings (see above):

Coyote Lake  >>>G

Deerskin  >>>OK

Lovecraft Country (Season 1)  >>>OK

The Secrets We Keep  >>>OK

---Sean O.
11/27/2020

No comments:

Post a Comment