Monday, November 23, 2020

The Wolf of Snow Hollow

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wolf of Snow Hollow                                           OK/G
[POTENTIAL SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW]
Werewolves are a significant part of the horror genre, but there don’t seem to be enough movies featuring them; enough good ones is what I should probably say, because there’re probably a whole bunch of them I haven’t seen nor know about.  Some of the good ones that come to mind are An American Werewolf in London, The Howling, Ginger Snaps (plus its sequel and prequel), Dog Soldiers, Silver Bullet, and I’ll even mention Wes Craven’s Cursed for being so-bad-it’s-fun.  [The Sticks by Andy Deane, singer of Bella Morte, is a good werewolf book for those that may care; I think it would make a good adaptation].  This film involves a small town in Utah (Snow Hollow maybe?) dealing with several deaths purportedly caused by a werewolf.  The werewolf is practical, really a man in a suit, but that beats CGI any day for this critic/horror fan.  The humor throughout may not always work, but it never feels out of place either, this very much being a horror-comedy wherein neither genre cancels the other out.  There is a twist at the end, I kind of gave it away already, making it a different movie than initially thought, but not in a way to completely ruin what came before.  I doubt this will become a classic (I could be wrong though), but it’s decent for the time being; not too long either.  11/20/2020

Bonus reviews:

Alien Xmas                                                                  G
The Chiodo Brothers are most famous for giving us Killer Klowns from Outer Space, but they were also involved in Critters 1-4, Ernest Scared Stupid (you’ll notice some of the clowns from Killer Klowns transformed into trolls if you pay attention), and parts of Elf and Pee-wee’s Big Adventure.  This new stop-motion animated film available on Netflix is based on a book of the same name co-authored by Stephen Chiodo (also the director here; his brothers were involved in other ways).  It involves aliens, looking exactly how one would generally envision them (pointy chin, round dome, black eyes), planning on stealing everything from Earth after building a machine enabling them to do so.  An alien named X is sent to complete this mission (at the North Pole) and I probably don’t have to tell you it becomes a bit cutesy by the end.  Isn’t that what the holidays are all about though?  Blah, blah, blah.  I still enjoyed it, because it’s aliens man!!!  And it’s a Christmas movie!  And it’s nice to look at!  Plus it’s barely even 40-minutes.  11/22/2020

If Anything Happens I Love You                                 G
(haiku review)
Animated short.
Images, no dialogue.
Potent 12-minutes.  11/21/2020

*[Currently available on Netflix]*

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

The App That Stole Christmas  >>>OK
                (Netflix)

My Summer as a Goth  >>>OK/G

Relic  >>>OK

---Sean O.
11/23/2020

No comments:

Post a Comment