Monday, November 2, 2020

Nobody Sleeps in the Woods Tonight

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Nobody Sleeps in the Woods Tonight                          OK
Here we have a Polish slasher movie recently added to Netflix in which a group of people attend a camp geared towards getting them away from technology.  They split up into groups and head into the woods in true slasher style.  I did mention this was a Polish film, so, yes, that means there are subtitles 99% of the time if you don’t understand Polish (the 1% is when two characters quote a certain American movie that actually isn’t a slasher film).  This film is full of clichés even though one character appears very knowledgeable of the genre, i.e. entering a strange house in the middle of the woods, investigating noises, a car only starting when it’s convenient, etc.  The killers, yes plural, are downright repulsive to behold (you do eventually see why), giving the inbred killers in all the Wrong Turn films a hefty run for their money (ironically, one of the kills here was exactly like one in Wrong Turn 2).  I was hoping those Poles would strike two this year with Netflix releases after giving us the worthy The Woods series; I mean, some of the kills here were fine and it isn’t the worst movie I’ve seen in the subgenre, but, unfortunately, it doesn’t deviate much from many of its average American (or elsewhere) counterparts.  11/2/2020

Bonus review:

Mr. Mercedes:  Season Three                                     OK
I said this at the beginning of my review of the previous season---[I never read the trilogy of novels by someone named Stephen King---Mr. Mercedes, Finders Keepers, and End of Watch, released in that order---but I do own the first two and hope to one day read them, preferably when this series isn’t so fresh in my mind.  That being said, I went into this season, as well as the last, blind with nothing to compare it to]---and it still applied here (you can read my entire review for both season one and two in the archives---www.abcreviewarchive.blogspot.com).  [POTENTIAL SPOILERS AHEAD]  Something happened to the titular character at the end of the last season which caused him to be M.I.A. this time, aside from a few brief moments here and there that might not have even been played by Harry Treadaway.  This season focuses on previous characters in addition to some new ones that were affected by Mr. Mercedes, specifically an incident he caused in season one.  Like the last two seasons, this one also contained ten roughly 50-minute (give or take) episodes and I never felt like I forced myself to continue, which makes me wonder if my rating should be higher.  On the other hand, it also felt like a cash grab that was a bit unnecessary in the sense it overstayed its welcome by adding more characters, but, like I said, I haven’t read any of the source material, so I don’t know what faithfully made it to the screen, what was omitted, or what may have been added.  In other words, I thought it was an unnecessary season while simultaneously thinking it wasn’t that bad, enough to want to continue, if I can say anything for those planning on watching it anyway.  So far, a fourth season isn’t planned and I hope it stays that way!  Let the series end here, if anything, before it really overstays its welcome.  10/30/2020

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet the Wolfman  >>>OK

American Pie Presents:  Girls’ Rules  >>>EH/OK

The Assistant (2020)  >>>OK/G

His House  >>>OK
  (Netflix)

Over the Moon  >>>OK
    (Netflix)

---Sean O.
11/2/2020

No comments:

Post a Comment