Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Halloween Party

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Halloween Party                                                         EH/OK
I wanted something new and Halloween-related to watch around this time of year, so I chose this.  Stop me if you’ve heard something similar before---A message randomly appears on screen with your name and asks what your fear is; it has to be a real fear, not made up, and your real fear will kill you if you don’t answer within the time limit.  Sounds like a very run-of-the-mill film you’ve seen at least once (likely more) before, no?  It does start that way at first before becoming somewhat of a police procedural wherein two college students are the “police” after learning the film’s title has more than one meaning.  I was kind of hoping for a film involving more of a literal Halloween party.  The film does look great, I grew quite fond of the main characters, and it does attempt to go for scares towards the end, but it ultimately ends up being just another run-of-the-mill horror film.  I suggest you look elsewhere to get in the Halloween spirit.  10/25/2020

Bonus reviews:

The Witching Season                                                   OK/G
Anthology series consisting of five episodes totaling roughly 82-minutes (the longest being 31 minutes, the shortest being 9) currently available on Tubi.  They all take place around Halloween and while it may be low-budget, it is shot professionally; I’m a fan of the intro too.  The first segment, “Killer on the Loose,” is a slasher short containing a twist that didn’t feel too original, but I didn’t expect it here.  Also, the original Night of the Living Dead is playing like it always seems to in movies, particularly horror (I should seriously start making a list of films that play the George A. Romero classic).  “Princess” involves a stuffed bunny that isn’t as innocuous as it appears.  While they did a decent job with camera angles and whatnot, and kudos to keeping it practical, the puppetry could’ve been done better.  And it isn’t quite over by the end, making me wish this episode could’ve been expanded upon.  The shortest segment, “Not Alone,” is also the weakest, being rather predictable, involving aliens (I assume).  I didn’t hate it though and it is only 9-minutes.  The longest one, “They Live Inside Us,” was the best and could definitely work as a feature film (ironically it was just made into one which is how I found out about this series after seeing it advertised), it being an anthology series of sorts alone, involving a writer devising scripts with different horror movie monsters in a house wherein a murder/suicide allegedly occurred.  I am curious as to how they fleshed it out into a 103-minute film.  Lastly, there’s “Is That You?” which contains a dark nursery rhyme in the beginning that eventually comes true for an unfortunate mother and daughter on Halloween night.  It definitely could’ve benefitted from being longer, as they all could’ve (one, it already happened for, as I mentioned), at least as longer episodes, not necessarily feature-length films.  These creators clearly have ambition and could definitely make something worthy with just a little bit more funding.  I’m giving this a slight recommendation being it won’t take up too much of your time as a whole, and that it’s perfect viewing during this (witching) season.  10/24/2020

Cadaver                                                                      OK
(haiku review)
Norwegian.  Netflix.
It overstays its welcome.
Felt derivative.  10/25/2020

The Vanished (2020)                                                   OK
(haiku review)
Young girl disappears.
Full of clichés.  Not bad though.
Predictable twist.  10/27/2020

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet Frankenstein  >>>OK

The Amityville Harvest  >>>B/EH

Extremity  >>>OK

---Sean O.
10/28/2020

No comments:

Post a Comment