Monday, October 5, 2020

Ratched: Season One

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Ratched:  Season One                                                 G
I have a confession to make:  I didn’t see One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest until like five years ago and I’m amazed I hadn’t seen it before that considering how often it’s referenced in pop culture and that it’s considered a “classic.”  There’re probably many movies I haven’t seen though that would amaze myself as well as others for not having done so.  Anyway, the head nurse from that film, and probably the book of the same name by Ken Kesey (which I haven’t read, but might one day), gets her own Netflix series here and you absolutely do not need to watch that film (if you haven’t already) before watching this series; I re-watched it beforehand just in case there were references and there are none that I recall; other than the eponymous nurse, there really is no connection between the two mediums.  This 8-episode series, ranging from 46 to 62-minutes each, does take place in the Forties in California, whereas the film takes place in the Sixties in Oregon (released in 1975), so being this is a prequel (made over 40 years later, no less), there really didn’t need to be any correlation.  Being that Ryan Murphy’s name was attached (he “developed” this, was one of many executive producers, and directed the first two episodes), there was definitely an American Horror Story vibe, there being at least two recognizable faces from that series, one being Sarah Paulson as the titular nurse, the other being Finn Wittrock.  This isn’t a horror series per se though, more of the psychological thriller variety, but like that aforementioned series, it is dark and bloody at times and there are several “colorful” characters we get to meet before eventually learning most aren’t who they initially appeared to be.  I can’t deny how interested I was in this series I was initially reluctant to invest in, enough to want to continue without feeling forced; the characters and presentation certainly aided.  A second season is planned (according to Wikipedia), and it makes sense considering this season didn’t exactly conclude, and I’ll just hope for the best (or at least acceptable) in letting the creators make another effective 8-episode season that doesn’t overstay its welcome.  10/3/2020

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Aloha, Scooby-Doo!  >>>G

First Cow  >>>OK

Skateboard Nation  >>>G

---Sean O.
10/5/2020

No comments:

Post a Comment