Saturday, October 24, 2020

Tremors: Shrieker Island

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Tremors:  Shrieker Island                                           OK/G
Tremors 7.  Here is what I wrote about the first film in my review of the previous entry, A Cold Day in Hell---[I’m a huge fan of Tremors and it holds a special place in my heart for being one of the first horror movies I recall watching.]---and you can read my brief opinions of the rest of the series as well as the entire review in the archives---www.abcreviewarchive.blogspot.com.  This time, the action takes place on a jungle island in Thailand and it is explained how the creatures ended up there.  Only the Graboids (the original worm-like creatures that burrow underground) and Shriekers (the two-legged creatures spawned from the Graboids first appearing in Aftershocks, and hence part of the title) appear here and they appear to be a combination of both practical and CGI effects, more so the CGI, but look close enough to the real thing (meaning the original practical creatures) to avoid being a complete letdown.  Did we really need another Tremors movie though?  Probably not, but if movies keep being made and are part of a franchise, you can’t not keep watching them (at least I can’t).  These were my last words in my review for the preceding entry---[…someone make me like this franchise again!]---and while I can absolutely say I didn’t dislike this entry, I can at least say it was better than the last two, which were also directed by the same guy behind this one (Don Michael Paul).  It also ends rather poignantly, although I have a feeling that poignancy might be rendered null if an 8th entry is made.  Who knows?  They already made seven films and a TV series!  10/23/2020

Bonus reviews:

Never Hike in the Snow                                               OK
(haiku review)
Friday the 13th.
Half hour fan film.  YouTube.
Bloody, but too short.  10/18/2020

[Check out my review of its predecessor, Never Hike Alone, in the archives---www.abcreviewarchive.blogspot.com, which I thought was better and was a bit longer].

The Owners                                                                 OK
(haiku review)
Bloody but felt stale.
Home invasion gone awry.
End not surprising.  10/23/2020

Every Time I Die                                                         OK
(haiku review)
Confusing at first.
Somewhat intriguing throughout.
Sappy, flat ending.  10/23/2020

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

All Hallows’ Eve (2016)  >>>EH/OK

The Boy Who Cried Werewolf (2010)  >>>OK

The Curse of Audrey Earnshaw  >>>OK/G 

Ghost Patrol (2016)  >>>OK 

Liar, Liar, Vampire  >>>OK

Rebecca (2020)  >>>OK/G
    (Netflix)

Scooby-Doo and the Ghoul School  >>>EH

Scooby-Doo!  And the Legend of the Vampire  >>>OK 

Scooby-Doo!  Music of the Vampire  >>>EH/OK 

Scooby-Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf  >>>B

---Sean O.
10/24/2020

No comments:

Post a Comment