Friday, October 9, 2020

Vampires vs. the Bronx

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Vampires vs. the Bronx                                               OK/G
New Netflix film in which the title is pretty self-explanatory.  There are vampires and it does take place in the Bronx (New York).  It follows three kids trying to save their neighborhood (I’m not sure of their exact age, but I’ll say early teens), one black and two Latin (for those concerned with diversity, but are you really surprised given the location?); in fact, the only white people are the evil vampires intent on taking over the city disguised as real estate agents (hmm…social commentary?).  The film is clichéd and predictable, one character typically knowing everything about vampires and they end up being completely vulnerable to traditional defenses (garlic, wooden stakes, holy water, crucifixes, etc.), but it is still kind of fun (although I doubt it’ll become a classic), and being that it’s rated PG-13 (I only noticed a few cuss words and the violence is largely implied), those that are actually the same age as the protagonists (or even younger) can actually watch this while identifying with them and/or looking up to them.  Older audience members that are fans of bloodsucker cinema can enjoy it too, of course.  Plus, the vampires have a more traditionally frightening look as opposed to a sparkly benign one!  10/5/2020

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

American Murder:  The Family Next Door  >>>G            
            (Netflix)

The Binding  >>>B
            (Netflix; In Italian with subtitles)

Hubie Halloween  >>>EH/OK
            (Netflix)

Scooby-Doo and the Alien Invaders  >>>OK

---Sean O.
10/9/2020

No comments:

Post a Comment