Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Hail to the Deadites

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hail to the Deadites                                                    OK/G
The Evil Dead.  I am a fan of the franchise; specifically the first two films.  I don’t dislike Army of Darkness, but it’s not particularly a favorite (too spoofy at times).  As for the TV series, Ash vs. Evil Dead?  I liked the first season, half of the second season, and the third season was fine, but it overstayed its welcome by then (glad it ended when it did).  As for the remake?  I wasn’t crazy about it at first, but admittedly grew to appreciate it more on repeat viewings (I will always prefer the OG though).  I didn’t see The Evil Dead until my late teens, but I instantly fell in love with it (despite some of its flaws, yes), enough to buy the DVD right away (that was around the time I first started buying DVD’s instead of VHS; yes, there were still some of those in stores).  I also wasn’t too big a fan of Evil Dead 2:  Dead by Dawn when I first saw it since some of the slapstick was a bit much for my tastes, but I kept returning to it and grew quite fond of its manic good time.  I love both films, differently, they being different beasts.  Aside from owning all three movies (yes, I do own a VHS copy of Army of Darkness that I likely got cheap or used, but never felt the need to upgrade), I have two Evil Dead shirts (one was a gift), two posters (one for both movies, the Evil Dead 2 one signed by Bruce Campbell), an Ash figurine (that was a gift), a throw blanket, books, and comics, so I guess you can say I’m a fan of The Evil Dead.  Now, why would you care about my particular fandom?  The same reason why anyone would particularly care for this documentary focusing on fans of the franchise (it features fans at conventions as well as some of the performers/crew members on these films).  Why indeed would someone care about other people professing their love for something whether you agreed with them or not?  Well, the same way I enjoy discussing films and other interests with people in person, I do enjoy hearing others discuss those same topics.  I am one of these people (although many fans definitely put me to shame; I may be a movie nerd, horror specifically, but not nearly as much as some people out there!).  [I got to meet the entire cast of the original Evil Dead at my first horror convention almost 20 years ago (nice people, even Bruce Campbell whom I’ve heard negative things about from some)].  I was generally intrigued with this documentary, despite not really entailing much, but did feel that it ended too soon (it was barely even 80-minutes), which is why I didn’t give it a strictly G rating (or perhaps I should have since it went by quickly and didn’t overstay its welcome…I don’t know).  Don’t like The Evil Dead?  Never seen The Evil Dead or any films in the franchise?  Never heard of The Evil Dead?  If you answered yes to any of the three, this doc may not be for you.  12/14/2021

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Amityville Scarecrow  >>>B/EH

Christmas…Again?!  >>>EH/OK
            (Disney+)

Diary of a Wimpy Kid (2021)  >>>OK
            (Disney+)

Free Guy  >>>EH/OK

---Sean O.
12/15/2021

No comments:

Post a Comment