Sunday, December 12, 2021

Silent Night

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Silent Night                                                                  G
No, this isn’t the 2012 remake/reimagining of Silent Night, Deadly Night; there are a couple movies with this title actually.  This is a new Christmas horror drama that contains no murderer in a Santa suit, but does contain a killer of a different sort.  A family in the U.K. gets together for Christmas and the inevitable bickering ensues amongst them, as can be expected in these films (and in real life).  What’s different about this holiday though is that an airborne poison is slowly making its way towards them and they will all be dead by morning (one theorizes it came from the Russians and another speculates it’s the Earth taking its revenge on humans).  There is no escape from it and everyone (except for certain people) was provided with a pill to ingest to go peacefully instead of slowly and painfully.  This isn’t quite like any other Christmas movie I recall seeing, it being pre-apocalyptic, feeling like a typical holiday drama, just with a grim air to the entire proceedings.  In other words, this isn’t a jolly holiday feature that’ll put you in good spirits.  My kind of movie!  I do like family holiday films, yes, but this film is a breath of fresh air (lol) amongst the majority of sappy, recycled holiday fare released.  I don’t remember a single moment when I didn’t want to watch it despite being fairly straightforward; the very end was possibly the only curveball thrown, which was kind of expected, but might cause discussions and get you pondering even after the credits roll.  Happy holidays!  12/10/2021

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Baphomet  >>>EH/OK

Embrace of the Vampire (1995)  >>>EH

Embrace of the Vampire (2013)  >>>EH

Screams of a Winter Night  >>>OK

Silent Night, Zombie Night  >>>EH/OK

Teddy (2020)  >>>EH

To All a Good Night  >>>EH

---Sean O.
12/12/2021

No comments:

Post a Comment