Saturday, June 22, 2024

Inside Out 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Inside Out 2                                                                 G
Inside Out was the last really good Pixar movie; Disney movie too, for that matter; it was well-written, fun, and ingenious.  In it, we followed the emotions (those being Joy, Sadness, Fear, Disgust, and Anger) inside a young girl named Riley.  Riley turns 13 in this one and you know what that means---puberty!  With that comes new emotions, those being Anxiety, Envy, Embarrassment, and Ennui (Nostalgia makes at least two brief appearances as well).  I read that the creators spoke to teenage girls for some authenticity, and while I’ve never obviously been a teenage girl (I was once a teenager though), I’d say they captured it quite well.  Was this as good as the first one?  No, nor did I expect it to be (I would’ve been truly amazed if it was); it had a whole lot to live up to, but it was still a worthy continuation, well-written and creative like the first.  It did seem shorter, even though they were both around the same length!  I’d actually be interested in another sequel portraying Riley as an adult; Nostalgia was told she can’t come out until later…6/18/2024

Bonus review:

Wreck (Season Two)                                                   OK
This is what I said at the end of my review for the first season---I read that there was a second season planned to be released this year, but I honestly don’t think I want to do another round (you can read the entire review in here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2023/09/the-third-saturday-in-october-part-v.html).  Well, after seeing it advertised so much I gave in (all 6 episodes are currently available on Hulu).  I didn’t dislike the first season; I just thought it was too stretched out (as I may have implied in the review above).  Instead of a boat, the setting is now on an island in Slovenia (filmed in Northern Ireland though, like the first one).  I thought there was a better flow to it this time, and I didn’t feel like I forced myself to continue (all the episodes are roughly 50-minutes too).  Maybe it’s the characters that make it engaging because we already know what’s been going on (since the conclusion of the first season) and we’re now just waiting to see what’s going to be done about it.  The story obviously isn’t over based on the end of the last episode, and while there are no confirmations of a third season yet, I read that the writer intended it to be three parts from the outset.  I’ll give it one more season.  I know, I know, I say that now, and look at me continuing with this one after writing that I didn’t want to.  It may not be the greatest series, but I can’t stop now that I made it this far, and because it’s unfinished.  Let’s wrap this up, shall we?  6/17/2024

Other movies and TV show(s) I’ve seen and their ratings (see above):

Back Road  >>>EH

Coming Home in the Dark  >>>EH/OK

Cry Baby Lane  >>>OK

Exhuma  >>>EH
   (In Korean with subtitles)

Gleaming the Cube  >>>EH

Joko Anwar’s Nightmares and Daydreams (Season One)  >>>OK
            (Netflix; 7 episodes; In Indonesian with subtitles)

The Last Stop in Yuma County  >>>OK/G

---Sean O.
6/22/2024

No comments:

Post a Comment