Wednesday, July 3, 2024

The Bear (Season Three)

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

The Bear (Season Three)                                             OK/G
Although this series is entirely fictional it should make you appreciate dining out more, especially at fancy restaurants that make dishes so small (yet so expensive) with such precision and detail.  [Sometimes I think certain dishes should be permanent works of art instead of eaten].  The setting this time is primarily the fancy titular restaurant as opposed to the sandwich shop in the previous seasons.  It still contains the manic energy it’s known for, for the most part; seems like there were a few slow parts scattered throughout.  I, personally, didn’t care for an entire episode devoted to the sister about to give birth in the hospital; maybe if it was only part of it.  I am still a fan of this Hulu series though; I looked forward to each episode because, in the words of Forrest Gump, “you never know what you’re going to get.”  I can appreciate a slice-of-life story, such as the episode wherein we see how one chef eventually started working for the restaurant.  And I think we can all relate to Carmy (Jeremy Allen White a.k.a. “Gene Wilder”) when he feels the need to confront someone that irked his soul in the past, said person likely part of the reason for his demeanor.  There are ten episodes again this season (all around 30-40 minutes each) and there is a fourth one coming, not only because the story hasn’t ended yet, but there was another one planned before this was even released  (you can read my review for season two in here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2023/09/the-bear-season-2.html).  You’ll see in my review for the last season that I said I’d welcome at least another season; well, after another season, I want even more (and not just because it isn’t over).  Bring it on!  6/30/2024

Bonus reviews:

Kung Fu Panda 4                                                       OK
Four movies?  Apparently I didn’t see the third one until I rectified that before watching.  There are also at least three TV series’ and four shorts/specials, none of which I recall seeing, nor do I really have a desire to (except for maybe the holiday one which I’ll wait until that time of year to watch).  I remember liking the first film when it came out, enough for me to purchase the DVD, and I gave it 3 out of 4 stars (back when I gave star ratings), according to my archives.  Apparently I gave the second film 3 out of 4 stars as well, which would be equivalent to my G rating now.  I definitely wouldn’t give either such ratings after rewatching them in preparation for this fourquel; I thought they were both just okay, kind of.  They’re basically big, dumb action movies, animated.  Funny how your opinion can change overtime; I understand when movies you liked as a kid not being as good when revisiting them, regardless of nostalgia, but I was very much an adult when watching those for the first time.  I actually think the third one was the best based on watching these all now.  In the first film, the titular panda “accidentally” becomes the Dragon Warrior in China and must battle foes to protect everyone.  The same thing, by and large, happens in each film, this one no different.  I wouldn’t necessarily say this was unnecessary, even though I don’t think four films, in addition to three shows and four specials, is exactly necessary for this franchise, because it is harmless and offers enough to entertain at least the younger crowd.  I didn’t dislike this film, nor any of them really, but it was merely just an okay entry.  [There was actually a funny East Asian-influenced instrumental version of “Crazy Train” that distracted me from what was happening during that scene because I was trying to pay attention to it].  6/26/2024

Porch Pirate                                                                OK/G
Indie horror flick I heard about via Bloody Disgusting (great app for horror news, by the way).  I don’t know if you remember hearing news stories about packages being stolen from homes, but someone in this film puts a little something in boxes for such thieves (“porch pirates”) that leads to nothing good, as two such men find out.  Filmed in and around Philadelphia (one scene was filmed in Berlin, New Jersey), it was directed by Dorian Vasquez, who has worked on Mare of Easttown and Servant (you can read my review for Mare in here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2021/09/mare-of-easttownthe-retreat.html, season one of Servant in here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2020/04/servant-season-one.html,  a haiku review of season two in here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2021/03/pg-psycho-goreman.html, and a haiku review of both season three and four in here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2023/06/black-mirror-season-six.html).  This is obviously low-budget (one scene involving two of our protagonists beating someone up is extremely horrendous), but it is adequately engaging with enough of a creep factor to make it really not that bad.  It’s barely 75-minutes and currently available on Reveel, an app which is free, with ads (just like Tubi).  6/26/2024

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Alice in Terrorland  >>>B/EH

Bloodline Killer  >>>EH

#ChadGetstheAxe  >>>OK

The Devil’s Bath  >>>EH/OK
   (In German with subtitles)

Kung Fu Panda 3  >>>OK/G

Loop Track  >>>OK/G

Night of Fear  >>>EH

Somewhere Quiet  >>>EH

Sting  >>>OK

Unidentified Objects  >>>OK/G

Wolves (2022)  >>>OK

---Sean O.
7/3/2024

No comments:

Post a Comment