Thursday, July 11, 2024

Maxxxine

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Maxxxine                                                                     OK
The third and final film in…is it The Ti West Trilogy or Mia Goth Trilogy?  Either one would suffice given Ti directed all three and Mia starred in all three (I saw it called The X Trilogy somewhere.  Whatever).  It began with X (you can read my review for that here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2022/05/x.html) and followed with its prequel, Pearl (you can read my review for that in here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2022/11/the-cellarpearl.html), just a couple months later in 2022.  Now, you’ll see in my review of X that I wasn’t too big a fan when I first wrote about it.  I gave Pearl a slightly better review, but still didn’t exactly praise it.  You’ll also see in one or the other review that I said they might age better and I might appreciate them more over time.  Well, I did grow rather fond of both and have seen them a couple times, thereby anticipating this chronological sequel to X.  For some odd reason I thought X was a much better movie after watching Pearl, Pearl working more as a character study, the kills being a welcome addition.  So was this, my most anticipated movie of 2024, a worthy addition to the trilogy?  Well…it is a mixed bag, as one review I read said.  There’s a much different feel this time, the setting being Los Angeles (actually filmed there too) instead of a farm in Texas (filmed in New Zealand), occurring in 1985 (during the time of the Night Stalker), six years after the events of X, wherein the titular character (Mia Goth resuming her role from X, with just one X in her name) has made a living as an actress before her past eventually catches up to her (namely the events in X).  It’s marketed as a slasher movie, and, while people do die (the kills are fine), it barely even is.  The revelation felt like a cop out; it’s a bit tacky, if you will.  Now, I wouldn’t say I exactly disliked this film.  I did admire that it didn’t go the typical slasher route the entire time, and I was curious as to how it would all play out since I really didn’t know what to expect; therefore, I was never bored.  If it were a standalone film though I would likely think it rather lackluster; it didn’t really add anything substantial to the storyline, thereby making it seem a bit unnecessary.  Who’s to say it won’t grow on me over time though given how much I grew to admire X and Pearl?  As of now, it just wasn’t quite what I hoped for in this trilogy’s concluding entry.  7/9/2024

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

An Angry Boy  >>>OK/G

Cellphone (2024)  >>>EH

Monolith (2024)  >>>OK

No Way Up  >>>OK

Rock, Paper, Scissors (2019)  >>>OK

We’re All Going to the World’s Fair  >>>OK

---Sean O.
7/11/2024

No comments:

Post a Comment