Thursday, July 25, 2024

True Detective: Night Country

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

True Detective:  Night Country                                   OK
The first season of this anthology series is one of my favorite shows; I’ve watched it at least three times and I’ll probably revisit it again in the future.  The second season sucked, and many agreed with me; I didn’t care about any of the characters (a “homophobic” character ends up being gay---how original!) or the entire season as a whole.  The third season wasn’t bad (you can read my haiku review for it in here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2019/02/overlord.html), but still wasn’t nearly as good as the first; basically just a once-and-done affair.  That’s pretty much how I felt about this fourth season containing only six episodes, as opposed to eight the other three, all roughly an hour (the last one an extra 15-minutes), all directed by Issa Lopez (Tigers Are Not Afraid).  The setting this time is the fictional town of Ennis, Alaska (filmed in Iceland) around Christmastime when it’s dark for 24 hours.  The mystery here is what happened to a group of scientists (all men) that disappeared from a facility and are all eventually found dead in the snow, naked.  The episodes are fine, for the most part; there are some supernatural elements belonging in a clichéd horror flick, and Jodie Foster’s character is sort of unlikeable (they succeeded if that was intended).  The first part of the big reveal was lame and made me almost dislike the entire season, but the second part was a bit more compelling.  All in all, I’d say it’s a fairly decent watch, but, like I said, just once-and-done.  7/24/2024

Bonus review:

Abigail                                                                         OK
A group of people are hired to kidnap a young ballerina and babysit her for 24 hours in a secluded mansion in hopes of obtaining money from her wealthy father.  If you’ve seen any previews or read about it I don’t think it’s a spoiler to say the little girl is actually a vampire and the “hunters become the hunted.”  [If you somehow didn’t know it was a vampire movie, sorry for ruining it for you].  We do get to know all the characters quite well, and it is violent, there’s no doubt about that (the same duo also directed Ready or Not, plus Scream 5 and 6; respectively, you can read my reviews for those in here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2019/12/ready-or-not.html, here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2022/01/last-night-in-sohoscream-2022.html, and here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2023/04/scream-vi.html).  The violence is ultimately what it has going for it.  It did get silly at times, more so than I thought it would be, and isn’t without its clichés (i.e. the inevitable jump scare, the overall motives); sometimes it’s predictable too.  It’s far from being terrible, but I don’t think it belongs alongside the fanged cinema greats.  R.I.P. Angus Cloud.  7/20/2024

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Ghostbusters:  Frozen Empire  >>>EH/OK

The Mean One   >>>EH/OK

Silent Night (2023)  >>>EH

---Sean O.
7/25/2024

No comments:

Post a Comment