Sunday, August 4, 2024

Twisters

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Twisters                                                                       OK/G
[POTENTIAL SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW]
Twister is not only one of the best, if not the best, tornado movies, but also natural disaster flick (Into the Storm is another pretty good one, one I feel is slightly underrated).  This sequel bears no relation to it aside from some equipment named after The Wizard of Oz characters.  Would that make it a remake then?  A requel?  Reimagining?  It’s marketed as a sequel, but it kind of is a remake; the sequence of events are fairly similar---there’s a tragedy in the beginning, there are tornado scenes scattered here and there, we end with a grand finale, and previous failed attempts end up being successful.  [In addition to tornado chasers, this time we get tornado wranglers---those who actually go into the tornado; and instead of sending warnings into the tornado, this time they aim to weaken them].  Some of the scientific jargon went right over my head (I’d be curious to hear a meteorologist’s view on this film), some of it is predictable, and it does suffer a bit from sequelitis (comparisons to the predecessor are inevitable), but that doesn’t mean it isn’t fun though.  There isn’t much to expect from a tornado movie, and I think it delivers enough for me to give it a passing grade.  It definitely didn’t seem like it was two hours.  7/30/2024

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Bag of Lies  >>>B

Humane  >>>OK

Sleeping Dogs (2024)  >>>EH

Tarot (2024)  >>>EH/OK

---Sean O.
8/4/2024

No comments:

Post a Comment