Thursday, August 8, 2024

Trap

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Trap                                                                            EH
I read there was a twist in this before I saw it.  Sometimes I wish people (critics or not) wouldn’t say that because then I’m going to try and figure it out; on the other hand, it does make me more curious.  This is the latest from M. Night Shyamalan, a filmmaker that became famous for using twists, even though not all of his movies contain them (his last film, Knock at the Cabin, actually could’ve benefitted from one; you can read my review for that in here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2023/03/knock-at-cabin.html).  In it, Josh Hartnett plays a father taking his teen daughter to a Lady Raven concert, a pop singer played by M. Night’s daughter, Saleka, who wrote and performed the songs herself (and is an actual singer).  In case you haven’t seen any previews or read about it, this concert is a (wait for it…) trap to catch a serial killer rumored to be in attendance.  Even if you haven’t seen a preview (at least the one I did), the “twist” is obvious right away, therefore I don’t really think it’s a twist at all.  Nothing much is done with it either, making this lack any kind of suspense; it goes on way longer than it should have too (I also think there may have been a poor attempt of a Friday the 13th homage towards the end).  This is a pedestrian effort that I don’t think would’ve even been greenlit had M. Night not been involved (of course the man is going to sell tickets!).  I always said the only films of Mr. Shyamalan’s I wasn’t a fan of were Lady in the Water, The Last Airbender, and After Earth (yes, I’ve been more in favor of polarizing titles like The Village and The Happening), and, unfortunately, this one is now added to the list.  Complete disappointment, M. Night.  One man exiting the same screening told me he thought this was the best movie he’s done in years.  I just told him, “I’m glad you thought so.”  8/6/2024

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Fatal Games  >>>EH

Model House  >>>EH

Summering  >>>OK

---Sean O.
8/8/2024

No comments:

Post a Comment