Friday, July 19, 2024

Longlegs

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Longlegs                                                                      G/VG
Maika Monroe plays an FBI agent tracking down the eponymous killer played by Nic Cage; their paths have crossed before, when she was a child.  Families with a daughter born on the 14th of any month tend to be the victims.  Mr. Cage, unrecognizable, looks like a certain rock star, aged, one he’s been compared to before, at least in a meme; he’s an equal amount of creepy and bizarre, heavy emphasis on the latter; probably one of his most eccentric roles yet.  It is a bleak film, often dimly lit, taking place in 1995 (I believe) in, I assume, Oregon (filmed in Canada though).  I’ve heard comparisons to The Silence of the Lambs and Seven (ironically, that film came out in 1995), and I can understand that at times, but this isn’t entirely like either of those.  Director Osgood Perkins, the son of “Norman Bates” himself, also gave us The Blackcoat’s Daughter, which wasn’t bad (my review is in here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2017/06/mooby-reviews-61117.html; please take into account this was written years ago and I would heavily edit it now), I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House, which was okay (review in here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2017/04/mooby-reviews-4317.html), and Gretel and Hansel, which I wasn’t a fan of (review in here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2020/05/gretel-and-hansel.html).  [His next film is an adaptation of the Stephen King short story, The Monkey].  I think this is his crowning achievement so far.  I know I’m going to have to watch it again, not because it went over my head (I very much did take something from it), but because I know there were some things I probably missed while trying to absorb it all the first time.  I should say I want to watch it again.  7/13/2024

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Arcadian  >>>OK

Camp (2024)  >>>EH/OK
                 (Tubi)

Camp Pleasant Lake  >>>EH

The Hole in the Fence  >>>EH
   (In Spanish with subtitles)

Night Shift (2024)  >>>OK

---Sean O.
7/19/2024

No comments:

Post a Comment