Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Overlord


---------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Overlord           OK
War/horror hybrid set in Nazi-occupied France during World War II.  I know I probably mentioned this before, but war is horror, real-life horror at that.  I do like a good war movie although I’m not the biggest fan of the film genre and have no interest in the real subject (war, what indeed is it good for?), and I do like my horror movies as anyone that knows me or keeps up with my blogs should know.  Ironically, I actually liked this better when it was a war movie.  It was foreboding during that part, as any good war movie or horror movie for that matter should be.  It isn’t without its violence either, that’s for sure, but that goes for the general war and/or horror film.  In fact, this was mostly a war movie that was part Re-Animator-ish.  I actually couldn’t wait for it to be over once the horror part, or sci-fi/action part more appropriately, took on.  It’s not that I was unimpressed with the special effects; I just wasn’t really a fan of them.  I honestly don’t know how this wouldn’t have ended up a typical war film without the horror elements added, so I can’t truly say this would’ve been better as a straight war film.  I’m more of a horror fan, but liked this better when it was a war movie.  Someone that’s more of a war movie fan might not like when it veers into horror territory.  That being said, I really don’t know who would appreciate this film the most, even fans of both genres which I could sort of say I fit into with a much higher preference for horror.  2/23/2019

Bonus Haiku Reviews:

True Detective:  Season Three
Dark like first season.
Not as good; the reveal sucked.
Better than two though.  2/25/2019


Weird City:  Season One        OK/G
(haiku review)
Six short eps.  YouTube.
Black Mirror-ish.  Not as dark.
Generally fun.  2/27/2019


Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Columbus        OK/G

Mary Queen of Scots        EH


---Sean O.
2/27/2019

No comments:

Post a Comment