Saturday, February 16, 2019

Happy Death Day 2U


-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
--------------------------------------------------------------------


Happy Death Day 2U               OK/G
The first one was basically Groundhog Day as a slasher film, and while this sequel does contain aspects of that Bill Murray vehicle as well, this time it’s more like The Butterfly Effect as a slasher film.  You do have to watch Happy Death Day first since everything is reiterated here, and it might not hurt to rewatch it beforehand depending on when you saw it last.  I thought the first one was fairly decent (check out my review for it in the archives---www.abcreviewarchive.blogspot.com) and was actually a bit better when I watched it the second time.  You do get an explanation for the time loop in this one, something I always wish would be directly answered in many of these Groundhog Day-type movies.  I did enjoy this for about two-thirds of the way before it became a bit too sentimental for me and ended too soon.  I did read that a third one is already planned, so perhaps that’s why it felt like part of a larger story.  I also read there was a scene after the credits, even though I always wait until the end of the credits (or fast-forward if watching at home) ever since Napoleon Dynamite, so wait until after the credits (or fast-forward if at home), or at least halfway through them.  It appears a threequel, based on what was hinted in that mid-credits sequence, might be even more repetitive than these two have been, but I’m still curious to see how it’ll be pulled off in this (as yet) passable slasher series with a sci-fi bent and a probable iconic killer in “Babyface.”  2/14/2019


Bonus review:


The Grinch                       EH
It’s usually not the same watching Christmas movies out of season, and as much as I despise remakes, my OCD would never allow me to pass this up (or any for that matter).  They’re never going to stop being made so I might as well keep giving them the benefit of the doubt.  Instinctively, yes, you’re always going to like the one you grew up with better and no remake will ever erase any previous version(s).  That being said, it’s not like the originals have disappeared from any archives, so why can’t they be shown to any future generations instead of remaking them?  That always seemed to be the definitive argument concerning remakes---to make the current generation aware.  Again, if the sole purpose is to bring attention to the original and generally much better version, why can’t the original be shown in the first place?  The original Grinch cartoon came out in 1966.  I was born in 1982.  Therefore, it was ahead of my time but I still grew up with it and loved it.  This full-length animated film was more a remake of the live-action Jim Carrey version and I honestly don’t know which one was worse.  This film may have had its funny moments and cute moments here and there, but I was generally more annoyed and unimpressed.  The best part of the original cartoon was when the Grinch robbed all the houses; here, all those scenes felt rushed in a film that had plenty of time to recreate those fun, detailed moments.  I might see how kiddies today will enjoy this if it’s their first foray into the story, but I would personally recommend they watch the original instead which is about an hour shorter.  I also can’t believe Scott Mosier, the producer of many Kevin Smith movies, including all the ones before he became “too Hollywood,” was the co-director of this unnecessary remake.  2/14/2019


Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Bohemian Rhapsody               OK/G

7 Days in Entebbe                   EH

Shoplifters                               EH/OK

---Sean O.
2/16/2019

No comments:

Post a Comment