Sunday, February 10, 2019

The Prodigy


-----------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-----------------------------------------------------------------

The Prodigy                                 G
There’s something fun about evil kid movies.  This is merely set up as an evil kid movie though, much like Orphan (you’ve had ten years to see that so I think it’s safe for me to say it technically wasn’t an evil kid movie), although it wasn’t quite like Orphan or other evil kid movies like The Good Son and The Omen despite reminding me of them.  Unless you were born yesterday or haven’t seen too many movies, you should be able to figure out the connection in the beginning when a guy is shot down and a baby is born at the same time.  Luckily this movie doesn’t beat around the bush or wait until the last quarter to reveal what we already know and that it deals with reincarnation, thereby making it appear as an evil kid movie simply because a deceased murderer now inhabits the body of a young boy.  Somehow the merging of those two concepts works and the film generally manages to be mildly entertaining; I said mildly!  It’s a simple story really, made all the more tolerable (or at least simply tolerable) if you keep your expectations low.  All I expected going in was just another evil kid movie and what can you really expect from that?  2/10/2019


Bonus haiku reviews:


Air Strike                                       B

Japs invade China.
Dubbed here and there, poorly though.
Paycheck, Bruce?  This blew!  2/7/2019


Russian Doll:  Season One           OK/G
Eight short eps.  Netflix.
It’s basically Groundhog Day.
Not bad but not great.  2/8/2019

---Sean O.
2/10/2019

No comments:

Post a Comment