Saturday, March 20, 2021

PG: Psycho Goreman

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

PG:  Psycho Goreman                                                OK
The modern “kiddie horror flick” that isn’t really for kids that I read so much about.  In it, a brother and sister (both young, pre-teen young) unearth a creature in their backyard, eventually dubbed Psycho Goreman, PG for short.  PG is an evil being intent on destroying all walks of life, but is kept in check by a pink gem obtained by the little girl upon digging him up.  There is most certainly an Eighties/early Nineties vibe, its creature designs very much resembling some of the silly creations from that era; hell, I could almost label this an R-rated Power Rangers film.  It’s not rated, but there is gore, cartoonish, sure, but there is gore, a whole lot of it.  I kind of had a love/hate relationship with this film.  I had a bit of fun with it, there being a certain charm to it, and I know I wasn’t supposed to take it seriously at all, which I didn’t to a point, but it was a tad “too kiddish” for me and I am very young at heart (I’m almost 40 and I still read Goosebumps and watch movies aimed at kids---I’m not sure if Disney movies count in that category either).  Perhaps I wasn’t too impressed with the creature designs, and I really wasn’t, and perhaps if I was actually a kid I might’ve enjoyed it more and looked back at it nostalgically (I think those that are the same age as the young protagonists would enjoy this the most, if they’re even allowed to watch it).  Like I implied, part of me enjoyed this and it certainly has its (adult) fans, currently 90% of 61 critics on Rotten Tomatoes, but I’m not sure if I can truly say I’m one of them…at least not yet.  3/17/2021

Bonus reviews:

Dolls (2019)                                                                OK/G
No, this is not a remake of the Stuart Gordon-helmed film from 1987.  In fact, the All Movie Guide website listed at least four other additional films with the same title.  This one comes from Cuyle Carvin (who, according to IMDb, has many more acting credits to his name) and features Dee Wallace as one of the performers; it is currently available on Tubi (meaning free on most, if not all, streaming platforms).  I would’ve never checked out this basically unknown low-budget film had I not viewed a trailer for it after coming up as a suggested title on my fire stick.  There are a decent amount of characters I actually cared about, or at least got to know, and I was quite fond of the “children’s book (Attic Dolls)” featured as a significant part of the entire movie (I’d purchase it, it being an “adult” children’s book involving evil dolls).  The three dolls in question aren’t too bad looking and might even creep out those with pediophobia.  There is violence too, but I was a bit disappointed in the doll action overall, which was the only aspect making the film feel a bit lacking…just a bit.  I’m not entirely sure how I feel about the ending either since it suggested one possible outcome which would’ve been worse (read:  clichéd) than the one I and most others would’ve likely hoped for, but it could be one of those that’s open to the viewers interpretation…I don’t know.  If you have a TV that allows you access to Tubi, this really isn’t a bad entry (of course that doesn’t mean great) in the evil doll subgenre and I’m picky as all hell when it comes to new movies in any genre/subgenre.  3/18/2021

Servant (season 2)                                                       OK
(haiku review)
Another ten eps.
Not as good as first season.
Not as intriguing.  3/19/2021

*Available on Apple+; check out my review of the first season here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2020/04/servant-season-one.html*

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

The Burnt Orange Heresy  >>>EH

Hunter Hunter  >>>OK

Monster Hunter  >>>OK

Persona (1966)  >>>OK/G

Promising Young Woman  >>>G

3 Women (1977)  >>>OK

---Sean O.
3/20/2021

No comments:

Post a Comment