Sunday, March 7, 2021

The Stylist

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

The Stylist                                                                    G
Whereas Leatherface “collected” human faces and wore them over his own, the stylist in question here “collects” scalps and wears them over her own hair on occasion.  Ironically, Jill Gevargizian (the director) stated in an intro that the Tobe Hooper original from 1974 is her favorite movie.  This isn’t quite like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but nice homage, Jill.  My description may have made it sound like Maniac, yes, I’m referring to the original, and it did remind me of it a bit, in addition to other films like May and Single White Female.  It’s an arty slasher film in scope while simultaneously a twisted character study.  In other words, completely impatient viewers need not apply.  I can be impatient, yes, especially with many modern films/shows, but I was reasonably transfixed with this simple Missouri-set film currently on Arrow (free trials are available like many other apps/channels).  You sense, or at least expect, something drastic will happen by the film’s conclusion (I’ve seen enough movies), and while it may not have been grand, it was certainly demented and oh-so fitting for this feature.  3/3/2021

Bonus review:

A Ghost Waits                                                             G
After a rather feeble beginning, I kind of grew to like this black-and-white film labeled as a horror/comedy.  Yes, there may be ghosts, but I didn’t find anything particularly horror about it.  [Beetlejuice came to mind at one point, but they’re two different films].  There was some comedy to it, sure, one scene involving the male protagonist conversating with a toilet I found quite amusing (it’s not as bizarre as it sounds), but I just thought of it as simply a movie (lame description, I know).  It becomes a romance of sorts by the end, but, however you want to label it, I can’t deny I was slightly charmed by this low-budget indie feature available on Arrow.  3/4/2021

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Creatures from the Pink Lagoon  >>>B/EH

Edge of the Axe  >>>OK

Moxie  >>>OK
   (Netflix)

---Sean O.
3/7/2021

No comments:

Post a Comment