Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Two Sentence Horror Stories (Season 2)

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Two Sentence Horror Stories (Season 2)                    OK
I’ve said it many times before and I’ll say it again---I love short stories, be it visual or literary, as long as they’re long enough to be engaging, and I can never pass up an anthology show or movie.  So, here we are with season two of this anthology show originally airing on The CW but also made available on Netflix after ending on that channel (I say just watch it on Netflix to avoid commercials).  You can read my review for the first season here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2019/10/anna-and-apocalypse.html---and I’m going to do the same thing in this review wherein I describe each episode in two sentences to be in rhythm with the show.  To reiterate, and for those unaware of this show, a sentence is displayed on screen at the beginning of each segment and another sentence is added at the very end to that first one, pretty much summarizing what you just saw (hence the two sentence in the title).
--------------------------------------------
Bag Man
Teenagers in detention, although it’s not quite The Breakfast Club; those teenagers had it easier.  Should’ve been longer.
Elliot
Transgender male is provided with an instrument that makes his tormentors suffer, but, like always, there’s a catch.  Could be vicariously cathartic for some, but it’s rather silly in execution.
Instinct
A female writer works another job to pay rent.  Never know whether she’s imagining shit or it’s actually happening, but I didn’t really care either way.
Imposter
Worker tries to impress his future in-laws at the job.  I’m guessing the “doppelganger” he tries to destroy is the stereotypical version of himself he doesn’t want to be known as?
Quota
Zombie-ish film set at a warehouse.  Nothing special about it at all.
Fix
Brother and sister reunite at cabin.  There’s a demonic possession of sorts, but The Evil Dead this is not, not by a long shot.
Essence
Body horror at a salon.  Much-deserved comeuppance for the villain.
El Muerto
After The Sixth Sense, the whole notion of “dead people not knowing they’re dead at first” hasn’t been fresh.  Especially if it’s predictable.
Ibeji
The title, I learned after researching, means twins in a West African dialect, and this does involve twin sisters.  It also involves a practical creature whose design didn’t make me recall an entirely similar one.
Manifest Destiny
Production involving a re-enactment between Europeans and American Indians that is, like many such tales, fabricated to a degree.  Some end up possessed by the spirits of those being portrayed and I think you can deduce that doesn’t mean anything good.
--------------------------------------------
Like the first season, I wasn’t the biggest fan of this collection as a whole.  There were definitely more misses than hits; I do include segments that are just okay as leaning more towards misses.  I think I liked “Bag Man,” “Ibeji,” and “Manifest Destiny” the best, but even they weren’t extremely notable entries.  For those that don’t really care for anthology shows/movies, I wouldn’t tell you to watch this, but for those that do (like yours truly), all I can say, if you have absolutely nothing else to watch, is that they are all short (19 and 20 minutes each without commercials, so watch them on Netflix if you can) and the season as a whole totals a little over 3 hours.  Even though I can’t say this is my favorite anthology show after just two seasons, yes, I will watch a third season and so on, but I just hope they’ll contain more hits than misses, thank you very much!  3/1/2021

Bonus reviews:

The House (A Hulu Halloween Anthology)                OK/G
As the subtitle states, this was an anthology series exclusive to Hulu released in 2017 around Halloween.  There are 6 segments totaling roughly 32 minutes, the longest ones being 7 minutes (3 are that length), the shortest being just 2 minutes.  “The Projectionist” involves a movie theater that does more than just show the same movie.  “Unexplained Phenomena, Part 1” comes off as a “true story” show providing us with an instance of a journalist in a haunted house; you’ll recognize a face from the original Pet Sematary (“Unexplained Phenomena, Part 2” is in the extras).  “Let Us In” revolves around home invaders getting more than they bargained for (hint---it’s not by the hands of other people).  “The Tree” is a brief animated sequence that is darkly poetic, while “Origins” is even shorter, depicting a photographic montage of what you’ve seen in the previous episodes as well as some famous haunted houses in cinematic history.  The episode in between those two, “Seven Moons,” was a futuristic tale (set at the end of the 25th century) featuring a creature which, when revealed at the end, ties in with the rest of the series.  All in all, wasn’t a bad series for all the episodes being really short and you could do worse; “Unexplained Phenomena, Part 1” and “Origins” were my least faves, although I do recommend watching “Part 2” of the former in the extras to make the segment feel more whole and a little less average on its own.  2/27/2021

Bite Size Halloween
I can never stress enough my love for anthology films/shows.  Ones featuring extremely short segments, much like their flash fiction literary equivalent, i.e. The ABCs of Death, I was never as fervent about.  As I mentioned above in the review for season two of Two Sentence Horror Stories, I like my short stories (visual or literary) to be long enough in order to be somewhat engaging.  Really short stories, or “bite size” as this anthology series available on Hulu labels them, often don’t end up being engaging.  I am always curious though to see what kind of tales can be crammed into such short time periods, and I did know what I was getting into before watching.  There are 28 episodes here and my loser ass added them all up to be a total of roughly 95 minutes; 17 of them are 3 minutes, 5 are 4 minutes, 3 are 2 minutes, and there are individual 5-minute, 6-minute, and 7-minute segments (boy, I really do have  no life, do I?).  So, you can either binge the entire series in one sitting since it’ll be the length of an average movie anyway, or you can watch them in segments if you don’t have that much time, or you’re looking to kill time.  Since there are 28 episodes and I’m not the biggest fan of really short anthology shows to begin with, you can bet there are plenty of misses, or ones that are simply okay; some silly entries included “Mondays,” “Landline,” “Summoned,” and “Baby.”  Some of my favorites ones included “Visible,” “Devil Vac,” “The Mime,” “Thirst (which was a unique undead tale),” “Costume Change,” and “Missing,” the latter two containing endings I didn’t expect.  So, if you like your anthology show stories really short, there’s bound to be some episodes to your liking here.  If you like them a bit longer (like yours truly), well, like I said, you know what you’re getting into if you decide to take a peek…3/2/2021

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Archenemy  >>>OK

Home with a View of the Monster  >>>EH

Hosts  >>>EH

Into the Dark:  The Current Occupant  >>>EH
            (Hulu)

Into the Dark:  Delivered  >>>EH
            (Hulu)

Into the Dark:  Good Boy  >>>EH
            (Hulu)

Into the Dark:  Pooka Lives!  >>>OK/G
            (Hulu)

---Sean O.
3/3/2021

No comments:

Post a Comment